• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Splitting the callipers

Naz

So I'm all over the place with projects on the 2000tilux. Since I have to wait for parts to arrive from Germany I split the callipers open to rebuild and repaint them. I guess my question is can the bolts be reused or do they absolutely have to be replaced? I don't mind replacing them but where the heck do I find these bolts, and is there anything special about the nuts?

963bc0d5df1fd5eac37cc7c798e68fc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naz,

I've not yet rebuilt my NK calipers but I have rebuilt similar ATE calipers from my E9 (Coupe) and E3 (3.0 Si) and at that time spoke to Eric at PMB where he restores more ATE calipers than anyone and he indicated the bolts are not stretch bolts and he doesn't replace them.  You can read and see pics of my E9 rebuild on the E9 board here:  http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/stock-caliper-rebuild.17389/

How was your braking before the rebuild?

Luis

Luis

The bigger challenge may be finding the o=rings. Back in the day, what I read was that the bolts are not reusable. I ended up writing ATE  (that long ago) and they sent me the bolts as a one time concession. Perhaps Eric speaks from more experience. That said, are yours four piston? I believe those are interchangeable with several later models that you can but off the shelf rebuilt.

I have had no problems reusing the nuts bolts when rebuilding brake calipers... as long as they're not too rusty.

Since BMW doesn't acknowledge the orings between the caliper halves in their parts system, it becomes a game of finding another car company that does... Porsche comes to the rescue with the part number 901 351 928 10.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/90135192810-MFG33.aspx?gclid=CISdmuKw0dMCFQKOaQodZLAIGA

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Can you still get kits for those things? I forget where I got the o-rings. Not sure if they are the same as dual circuit. Not the same caliper as 1600-2/1602/2002 single circuit.

Can you still get kits for those things? I forget where I got the o-rings. Not sure if they are the same as dual circuit. Not the same caliper as 1600-2/1602/2002 single circuit.

Surprisingly yes, I got the part number off realoem and the kit is available 70$ cdn per.
I can't tell if the o ring is in the kit though.

Naz,

I've not yet rebuilt my NK calipers but I have rebuilt similar ATE calipers from my E9 (Coupe) and E3 (3.0 Si) and at that time spoke to Eric at PMB where he restores more ATE calipers than anyone and he indicated the bolts are not stretch bolts and he doesn't replace them.  You can read and see pics of my E9 rebuild on the E9 board here:  http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/stock-caliper-rebuild.17389/

How was your braking before the rebuild?

Luis

Luis,

I don't recall how the braking was. I haven't driven the car over 20 years hahah.

The O-rings came with the kit. Just got the entire package today. Getting the callipers glass beaded then use a high heat clear on them prior to re-assembly.