• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Renew Cv boot?

Naz

I'd hunt down one of those recalled bottles of Sapphire Blue Gin to help with getting the boot on.
I open the big clamp just enough to slide it along the housing and over the ridge. Then use thin washers and ideally a small hex head bolt with lock-nut to keep the weight down.

Be sure to test overnight per my suggestion above.

I found this interesting. The new O-ring I ordered is much thinner than the original. I really didn't like the look of the new one so I opted to use the old o-ring and put a little silicone to create a better seal. Hopefully it holds. I will put grease in it tomorrow and test it.

666c408e2e1a9eb7da697ab20f377eb9.jpg

Top is new bottom is original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same experience with o-rings. Augmented with silicone. Before you open the champers, add the prescribed amount of #90 gear oil, and leave it standing on one end and then the other overnight to test for leaks.

#90 hypoid oil, about 600ml I THINK. If you can't find spec, I'll go to garage to look.

Not sure if this stuff qualifies. I'll look for spec on volume. Also, I planned on using cv boot clamps rather than the original hose clamps that came with the car. I can't find narrow hose clamps and the BMW ones are $20 for the large one and $12 for the small one. I Just can't justify that.

5b1b21bc87c13fb7982f06078af22d1c.jpg

i suspect that will do. Not sure if Hypoid is different than marine, and if so why.

Just did a bit of research. It's the same thing. They both have additives that allow water to emulsify if it should so happen to get in there. Hence the name "marine oil"

How do you like the ultrasonic cleaner?

I love it. I throw all my nuts and bolts in there. This unit heats the degreaser as well so by the time it's done the threads are spotless and free of any contaminates. I usually clean the bolt heads with a wire brush attachment on my dremel as well after.

16 hours ago, Naz said:

I love it. I throw all my nuts and bolts in there. This unit heats the degreaser as well so by the time it's done the threads are spotless and free of any contaminates. I usually clean the bolt heads with a wire brush attachment on my dremel as well after.

What brand is it? Can't see the full label due to your gorgeous rear axle.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"