• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Euro bumpers on 74-74

1mike

final cost depends on what you have to pay for bumpers...which no one here can say what that will be...you might get lucky and find a nicer used set for a few hundred $'s, not so lucky and spend  $5-600.00 per bumper....bracket, nuts and bolts are a insignificant cost compared to chrome bumper costs

subscribe to the parts for sale forum...they are often available for sale

Also depends on how you want to mount the front bumper. You can use some sort of modification to mount using the existing late model bumper mounts but they will be higher than stock and you have to figure out what to do visually with the mount as the are covered by the big bumper system, or you can cut the front of the 02, repaint the area and use the pre '74 stock mounts but you also have to weld in metal to cover the old mount holes and repaint.  So that bodywork alone may cost you $1k-2k...then add parts which may be another $1k for new, or less expensive for used, but may need a rechrome....

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

1mike, FYI I didn't do the front end bodywork....I fabricated a mount that attaches to the big bumper mounting points.  Its not perfect, but if done correctly will look pretty good.  

My point was that there is more than one way to do it and it can range from a few hundred to a few thousand.  Search for bumper conversion and you can get some ideas on what to do.  The rear is a lot easier...

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

11 hours ago, jrhone said:

1mike, FYI I didn't do the front end bodywork....I fabricated a mount that attaches to the big bumper mounting points.  Its not perfect, but if done correctly will look pretty good.  

My point was that there is more than one way to do it and it can range from a few hundred to a few thousand.  Search for bumper conversion and you can get some ideas on what to do.  The rear is a lot easier...

Knowing people that have done the budget version, and the body-work intensive version, this ^^^ is dead on.  The front panels were different (euro squaretail vs. US squaretail), so if you want the front to be factory, you basically have to put the correct front panel on (we would call it roundie front panel, but euro squaretail is also correct), or cut holes and patch holes to make it correct.  On the rear, there will be little holes to fill on the sides which again, you can do a good budget version, or have them filled and repainted.  

Basically, as I understand it, the euro cars didn't change the front panel or rear bumper mounting system a great deal, going from the roundie design to the squaretail, whereas the US cars did change - a lot.  

Eurotrash is one of the forks that documented his conversion...worth a thousand words: 

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Here's the low budget way to do this.

For the front:

- I cut the front apron just enough to expose the pre-'74 mounting brackets

- Front bumper bolts right in. (my cheapo one is not perfect, as you can see)

- I used the big bumper plastic cover pieces to put on top of the newly cut apron, to hide it

For the rear:
- drill holes through the rear for the rear bumper bolts

For the extra holes in the body:
- I used little plastic plugs and spray painted them to match, then glued them in place

IMG_1645.jpg

100_7278.jpg

DSCN7362.jpg

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

My results from building the mount and then modifying the bumper shock covers to fit and cover my mounts.  I have since then had the bodywork done to cover the extra holes...

There was someone here selling a kit that was a mount for the bumper and a plate that covered the bumper shock area...

I think I got my bumpers front and rear for about $250 used...did ALOT of cleaning on them and they need to be rechromed and dents removed.  Thats probably about a $300 job.  

20140608-115611-42971948.jpg

20140608-115611-42971572.jpg

img_0478.jpg?w=3628

Edited by jrhone

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon