• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where can I get a swatch of early saddle leather?

Mucci

There were two "saddle" or "caramel" vinyls used on 2002s.  The first is mottled (not the same color throughout) and was used on 68 through sometime in late 1971 or even early 1972 cars.  Then the vinyl was changed to a similar shade, but all one color and slightly lighter (and more orange, especially after long exposure to sunlight).  

Generally speaking (but not always) the mottled saddle vinyl was used on seats with chrome-plated reclining mechanisms, and the one-color was used on seats with black painted recliners.  Apparently the factory just used up the early style vinyl, as there doesn't seem to be a sharp cutoff VIN from the use of the early stuff to the later.  This color interior was used on Nevada, Agave and Malaga cars.  

It was discontinued in favor of a much lighter "buckskin" vinyl when the squarelights were introduced in 1974.  

I have some samples of both; PM me with which one you are seeking.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite