• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found: Speedo

MildSeven

Mine doesn't return to 0 :(

Not sure what specs are needed but I have a '76 and I believe I have a 3.64 diff.

thanks,

Anthony

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

thanks for the reply.

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what does W=1.30 signify? Odometer aside does the speedometer function?

Edited by MildSeven

I believe both W=1.28 and W=1.30 speedometers were for 3.64 diffs.  My '76's W=1.393 was SUPPOSED to be for the 3.90 differential fitted solely to 49-state U.S.-spec '76 cars (different ring and pinion from the e21 3.91).  But there was a mistake at the factory and many of the 1.393-marked '76 speedos were actually geared for 3.64 differentials.  The factory fix is/was a speedometer face overlay, which corrects the approximately 7% error.  I've been looking for one of these overlays for years.

Consequently, if you buy a 1976 speedometer, and it's marked W=1.393, it might be for a 3.90 or a 3.64 differential, depending on whether it's a correctly geared unit, or one of the many errors, like mine!

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

15 hours ago, Conserv said:

I believe both W=1.28 and W=1.30 speedometers were for 3.64 diffs.  My '76's W=1.393 was SUPPOSED to be for the 3.90 differential fitted solely to 49-state U.S.-spec '76 cars (different ring and pinion from the e21 3.91).  But there was a mistake at the factory and many of the 1.393-marked '76 speedos were actually geared for 3.64 differentials.  The factory fix is/was a speedometer face overlay, which corrects the approximately 7% error.  I've been looking for one of these overlays for years.

Consequently, if you buy a 1976 speedometer, and it's marked W=1.393, it might be for a 3.90 or a 3.64 differential, depending on whether it's a correctly geared unit, or one of the many errors, like mine!

Regards,

Steve

thanks for the explanation!

15 hours ago, HBChris said:

I took mine out of the housing, looks like it may not be working, sorry.

no problem, thanks for the reply.

still looking :)

And virtually all 1974-1975 U.S. speedometers are geared for a 3.64 differential, as well as all 1976 California-only speedometers.

Of course, North Hollywood Speedometer, and many others, could probably fix yours -- it's likely, however, to be more expensive than a good used unit.

Good luck,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)