• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Portland Rocker Repair Shop recommendation

floatinghead

I recently noticed some damage on the right rear rocker that was probably from a misplaced jack or something and looks to have some rust.  Not sure how long its been there and it was probably me, as a novice mechanic, who created this problem when i first got the car. 

I'm looking for a Portland,OR shop that is familiar with this type of work.  Any recommendations?   A ballpark cost for this repair would be helpful as well.  Its not a show car by any means, but it is relatively clean and i drive it when and wherever i can...

thanks,

Baron

2002tii-rocker.JPG

Currently have a guy that will be working on my car in the area. Rockers, floor pans, trunk and frame rail in the mix. 

I will give you a rundown when he finishes and if his work is good. I will let you know. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I would take a wire brush (on a drill) to it and see if you can clean it all off, then make sure you throw some rust converter or primer on the bare metal if you get that far. If you are lucky, you can remove all the rust just like that (then please please treat properly so it doesn't just rust from bare metal). If you can't get through it all then you need new metal. You can't really make it worse unless you take off rust and paint and then leave it to keep rusting. If it needs to be cut out, it needs to be cut out. I wouldn't use a screw driver though. Wire wheels are just a few bucks at Harbor Freight. 

There are tons of options, if you aren't about to repaint everything and you are just doing a spot repair in an out of sight place like this, I would look into por-15 (get a sampler pack on amazon), pickle-x (expensive) or phospho (cheap). I would generally stay away from random rustoleom cans of whatever. Others on here are far more knowledgeable on the subject though.

1 hour ago, floatinghead said:

Awesome, i appreciate it.  Is he in portland or closer to you in Salem?  

thanks

Near Gresham. 

I will keep you posted. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

The screwdriver's ok, too, but it's hard on the screwdriver...

...I'm afraid you're going to find that the rocker (outer) layer's perforated.

The fender (inner) layer may or may not be.  You can take out the seat and

pull the inner rear panels (not a bad idea periodically anyway) to see if you can see more.

Usually you can't.

Hey Gordon, who do you like for bodywork in your neck of the woods?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL