• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Switch Short

landon

13 hours ago, landon said:

Coil gets power from #12 fuse -correct?

Not thru the fuse but from the ignition switch power input side of the fuse, i.e. removing the fuse will not interrupt power to the coil.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, mike472 said:

I think it’s your ignition switch. If it came apart inside you could have shorted the hot lead onto that accessory terminal. I just bought a spare on eBay. They break in different ways with brittle plastic being the culprit most of the time. That switch feeds the fuse block which  in turn feeds your coil.  If everything was good before and this suddenly came from out of nowhere I would bet on it. There is another switch for sale on eBay now for about $60

The switch is a new one purchased thru a Ferrari parts dealer. The symptoms are similar to what was going on with the the original switch just removed.   

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Didn’t know those switches were available through anyone.  Not Ricambi is it? I know they sell a lot of Ferrari and other super car parts. 
Start tracing backwards from coil back. It’s got to be fed from somewhere it’s not supposed to. Maybe try lifting out your fuse block to see if there is anything wrong there. You haven’t left the car anywhere that mice could chew on things have you?

• Like 1

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

4 minutes ago, mike472 said:

Didn’t know those switches were available through anyone.  Not Ricambi is it? I know they sell a lot of Ferrari and other super car parts. 
Start tracing backwards from coil back. It’s got to be fed from somewhere it’s not supposed to. Maybe try lifting out your fuse block to see if there is anything wrong there. You haven’t left the car anywhere that mice could chew on things have you?

TomVail ferrari parts. Sold under the bmw part # and it appears to be identical to the original one removed. 

I've had the car for 33 years and only wiring I recall being touched at the fuse block is off the #12 fuse so will be looking that direction to the coil.  

No signs of mice this year but a rabbit chewed thru my old subaru alternator harness! 

• Haha 1

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

2 hours ago, landon said:

TomVail ferrari parts. Sold under the bmw part # and it appears to be identical to the original one removed. 

I've had the car for 33 years and only wiring I recall being touched at the fuse block is off the #12 fuse so will be looking that direction to the coil.  

No signs of mice this year but a rabbit chewed thru my old subaru alternator harness! 

Good luck. Thanks for the source on that switch. The other response with the back feed theory might be it from those other fuses. You’ll find it. That ignition switch drove me crazy the first time it happened to me and it was intermittent like your problem 

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318