• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fire concerns

gordon415

FUEL LINE SPECIFICATIONS & Unknown recalls:  Beware.  MB & 2 BMWs.  I have lost a newly restored 1972 MB 450 and had leaks on a BMW R100rs due to dealer-provided rubber hose lines.  The "original replacement" spec did not include the substitution of a newer product that was resistant to our newer methanol and other chemical additives.

The R100 was actually leaching the alcohol component through the pot-metal carbs, and the hose lines were melting.  I changed those lines.

I DID NOT change the high pressure fuel lines on the MB.  These melted as well and resulted in a catastrophic fire (I discharged two 2ABC fire extinguishers and it still burned)  fire dept arrived in 4 minutes, but still too late. Totalled

1998 M3: Factory recalled fuse box burned - contained to the fuse box and that portion of the wiring harness- no open flames under hood- $1,500 insurance repair.

Now, I make sure the rubber is Euro-spec and/or is certified for modern fuels and their additives.  I frequently check for recalls on the newer vehicles.

PS: I carry two 2lb or single 5lb extinguishers in every vehicle and a 5ABC Halon in cab and a10A 8BC unit on running boards of my Dodge Power Wagon.

Oxidation is not our friend - fast (fire) or slow (rust)

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

• 2 weeks later...

http://blazecut.com/

A bunch of people in the Air Cooled world are talking about these guys.  Air cooled tends to be a little more fire prone then water cooled - but these days with old rubber and ethanol a fire can happen to anyone.  :-(

I have not used the Blazecut products, but I'm going to order some for my 914 and probably the 2002 as well.

Zach

On 8/24/2016 at 5:14 PM, jimk said:

Rules for fire:

Carry a fire extinguisher.

Insure the car to the hilt.

In case of fire, grab the fire extinguisher and discharge it on the ground.

Collect insurance money.  Who likes a to reconstruct  burned out car?

Rules for fire...

Don't let it happen in the first place!

Basic maintenence would prevent 99.9% of the fires.   

2xM3