• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On 6/11/2016 at 0:01 PM, RadicalRacing said:

2002Scoob

There was a guy at the recent 02 Fest in Brisbane, CA USA that was offering simple metal chin spoilers for a metal working friend of his that could be exactly what you are looking for.  The guy said his friend could make them any width or depth you wanted.   I thought the one he had on display looked very professional with the proper curve to fit the 2002 lower front valance, good proportions, a mounting lip on top and a small strengthening lip at the bottom.  Sorry this was my first time at the event.  Maybe some more experienced 02ers can give you a connection to the maker.   

The guy at Brisbane making the metal Duckbill, as seen on the pigcheek car,was Rick Row from Northbay Bavarian; 707) 545-0820.

I am almost 95% going to pull the trigger and order one.

I think I'll hold out and likely do my homework on making my own. I'm leaning toward powdercoated aluminum w/ support struts off the bumper braces. My location in Europe doesn't make getting ahold of all these "not original' Cali-made parts easy. They're too big of sticklers for keeping things stock to allow that to happen :P

When I finally bring her back out west thou... :)

Edited by 2002Scoob

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy everyone interested in air dams and chin spoilers! I'm not here to advertise my business, just to clear up any questions about what is available. I hand make one-piece steel and aluminum air dam/chin spoilers for the 2002 (and a few other applications.) Two different lengths and two different mounting options. Located in Santa Rosa Ca & down the street from Northbay Bavarian, I've done quite a bit of fabrication work for Rick, and his Alpina flared '02 has a long high mount steel air dam (the first one I made...it is not the best example!) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow Mark cool stock-rear bumper! I've been considering producing a lightweight aluminum rear bumper (could be polished to look like chrome) not sure how much interest there would be or what the price would be...but a cool project for sure! 

Your metal air dam looks similar in mounting and design to mine, just finished off different 

image.jpg

This is a long "low mount" version, in aluminum. 

image.jpgWww.kooglewerks.com

What's the width of the long and short 4.5"-6"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

72 Fjord Blue B/S Racecar

2011 335is 7 Speed dct Rocket

HI Forrest, Your Dams are gorgeous, not easy to make perfectly flat like that, for sure!

More than a few hours in the bumper, I did it when the car was at paint and I was bored. The car will be in the pits at Monterey if you are coming, otherwise PM me if you are in San Diego, we can have a beer and talk Aluminum sheet metal fab!

Mark 

73tii

FYI: For SVRA racers, the "B/S" rules for BMW Sedans are currently listed on their website as follows:

"Flat plate lip spoiler not to exceed 57" x 6", may have holes for brake ducting (not approved for SVRA Group 3)"

Based on my interpretation, anything larger / longer and/or 'turbo style' air dam moves a car to R/S class.

These are all fine for VARA per current rules.

The air dam we build fits just-below the bump in the front valance; we (Forest, PigPen, myself) are all working to find the balance between function, form and a unit which won't take a beating on the track or on the street. On the unit shown below, the mounting lip is inverted and 'hidden' behind (one mounting option is nylon bolts into riv-nuts pressed into the sheet metal). -KB

tow-hook-detail.jpg

On 7/18/2016 at 9:01 AM, kbmb02 said:

thank you kbmb02 for jumping in on this topic with the SVRA & VARA rules...and I agree we're all trying to meet the same design & function criteria.

the pic of your lip looks great!...are you a metal shaper or do you have someone local to you make them? (I'm always interested to share ideas and info with fellow craftsmen) anyways, the air dams have been a fun endeavor and I am consistently working to improve my design and fit/finish...as well as prototyping and adding new vehicle applications to the list!

-Forrest

On 7/18/2016 at 9:01 AM, kbmb02 said:

FYI: For SVRA racers, the "B/S" rules for BMW Sedans are currently listed on their website as follows:

"Flat plate lip spoiler not to exceed 57" x 6", may have holes for brake ducting (not approved for SVRA Group 3)"

Based on my interpretation, anything larger / longer and/or 'turbo style' air dam moves a car to R/S class.

These are all fine for VARA per current rules.

The air dam we build fits just-below the bump in the front valance; we (Forest, PigPen, myself) are all working to find the balance between function, form and a unit which won't take a beating on the track or on the street. On the unit shown below, the mounting lip is inverted and 'hidden' behind (one mounting option is nylon bolts into riv-nuts pressed into the sheet metal). -KB