• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 1972 Roundie - seats question

Av///M

hi all,

Hoping i can get some advice please. I have a 1972 roundie - my original seats are the basket weave with the headreasts, I am in the market for new seats. Today i was offered a set of recovered seats without headrests. My question is, are the seats interchangeable between the different 02 models? Seats I'm considering do not have headrests and they look like they originate possibly from the 1600 but i cannot be 100% sure. Any info would be appreciated.

BMW E10 2002 - (under restoration)

Different year seats will fit with the correct seat brackets.  There were also differences in headrests - size, shape, distance/spacing of support posts.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Thanks for the info John. Assuming i use the same standard seat rails in my car, are you saying i'll need to buy brackets to install the seats? are these brackets easily available? 

You shouldn't need add'l bracket if you have the original ones for your seats & the new sets.  Early seats had a different bracket vs. later seats, so you might need to remove the entire set-up from the bottom of one type of seat to bolt it to the floor of your car.  Some bolt vertically to the body, while others use a front bolt that is oriented horizontally, so an additional hole and T-nut might be needed.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Roundies and squarelights used different seats, but both will bolt up to the same adjustment brackets that in turn bolt to the floor. 

Most (if not all) US 1600s came with front seats that did not recline, but had only three different backrest adjustments.  They interchange with the fully reclining seats but of course don't recline themselves.  AFAIK the actual upholstery on those seats will fit on reclining seat frames.  

1975 and 76 cars used headrests with attaching rods that were set much closer together than the 74 and earlier seats, so those head rests do not interchange with those used on earlier cars.  

The recovered seats you were offered may already be equipped with the brackets for headrests, but the person who had 'em reupholstered simply covered up the mounts.  If you feel around the tops of the seat backs--or better still, remove the rigid panel on the seat back and look, you'll see the metal tubes that hold the headrests.  The only US cars that came without headrests were the 66 & 67 1600s and the early '68 1600s and 2002s, so the chances those seats had headrests are pretty good.  

If you do get those seats, make sure the sliding brackets are the same as yours, or save yours and transfer 'em to the new seats.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

thank you for your informative feedback. i will have a look on those seats to check if those headrests brackets were recovered. My gut feel is to give these seats a pass and rather wait for a set with the headrests. The headrest seems to change the overall dynmic of the car!