• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Safe to drive with with no speedo cable connected to 5-speed?

KFunk

Will any gear oil leak out of a 245 / 5-speed if there's no speedo cable connected?

I just pulled out my cable to confirm it's indeed broken, and don't want to put it back in there until the new one arrives.  I don't mind driving with no speedo.

I suppose I could just cut off the bottom and use it as a temp. plug without the routing hassle.

Thanks, didn't know the search terms to look for this info.  

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Don't have a smart phone.  I went ahead and put it back in place and just left the other end hanging dead in the engine compartment for now.  Probably not necessary, and not fun to get that tiny bolt threaded back in there, but it'll save some worry for a few days until the new one gets here.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

7 hours ago, KFunk said:

Will any gear oil leak out of a 245 / 5-speed if there's no speedo cable connected?

The shaft seal will keep oil from leaking out, but the danger is that the adapter between the speedo cable end and speedometer gear can fall out if the set screw backs out all the way. Happened to me. Then you have a nice big hole for fluid to pour out. You did good by putting it back in.

--Fred

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)