• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Touring '74 from Belgium, full restoration project (Lots of pictures)

D.martijn

1 hour ago, jmbeatt2 said:

Very nice work! You’ve made amazing progress on this car. I’m excited to see it come back together. 

Thanks man! bit by bit but I'm sure it'll be completed once right.. ;)

ps, how come I can't find you on instagram anymore? I liked seeing your work :)

On 3/29/2020 at 8:21 PM, jmbeatt2 said:

Hey thanks a lot! Yeah, I got out of Instagram. Guess I felt like it was boring with post after post of repairs to rusted and damaged metal. But rust and damaged metal is the nature of old cars ;).  

Aw man no way! Sometimes I even search on the hashtag "rust repair" haha.

I always like seeing how other people repair certain sections/parts on their rusted out car :)

• 2 weeks later...

A pretty long time ago, I started repairing the right C pillar/hofmeister kink.

However, never really finished it. We did notice I had welded in the inner support piece slightly crooked.

So after removing it, trimming it a bit more so it sits like it should have been.

I welded it in for good now. Also adding the inner covering plate and the section of the quarter panel where the seal will fit onto.

49768532527_5c0d0174e3_b.jpg

49768532687_85b83d3f49_b.jpg

We made sure to let the paint seep through the panels to prevent as much future rust as we can.

49768204536_2c013d4c23_b.jpg

Quite the difference!

49767763883_2948b317cf_b.jpg

Also, my brother started on removing the outer skin on a rotten door we had as a spare. Just to see how easy it is to remove.

Jaymic in the UK, started on making new replacement outer skins. We'll go ahead and order both left and right skins.

The plan is to completely sandblast the door frames, paint them and then reassemble them with the new skins.

49767672058_229277ebb0_b.jpg

Edited by D.martijn
  • Like 1

Wish that Jaymic skins are good. If there's no issues in quality it's pretty straight forward, with your skills peace of cake.

I found one old stock skin, no idea about manufacturer, and managed to replace with fairly good result. It was far easier than other door where I only replaced lower third. 

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

28 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Wish that Jaymic skins are good. If there's no issues in quality it's pretty straight forward, with your skills peace of cake.

I found one old stock skin, no idea about manufacturer, and managed to replace with fairly good result. It was far easier than other door where I only replaced lower third. 

I've received some pictures from Jaymic and they look promising. Only thing that's not "included" are the trim holes.

The indentation for the door handle etc are all there.

He told me that he send a pair to a friend to test fit. I'm waiting on some extra picture before purchasing.

3 hours ago, Cruzr said:

Looks like you are going to need more than the outer skin. The bottom part of the door's inner structure is gone. What are the plans for that?

As I mentioned in my first post, this door is just a spare one we have laying around. The doors that are currently fitted onto the car have a lot less rust on the bottom section. Although we might have to replace a couple spots

• Like 1

Another repair panel welded in!

My brother previously made this panel as there was some heavy pitting and a couple of pin holes present in the floor.

After some more messing with it, it got welded in

49788302468_8ccda14b1a_b.jpg

49789156847_fe007a7082_b.jpg

The backet for the rear seats also has some rust between it and the floor, we wipped up a quick jig so we were able to remove it, remove the rust and weld it back in the same position.

49788301953_e8a1178a6f_b.jpg

Still need to clean up the welds some more on the inside but overall pretty happy with the result.

Edited by D.martijn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a small die to press an indentation in a repair panel for the raintray.

I first made a quick 3D printed test piece to get the overall shape right of the original panel.

After this, it was time to 3D model and CNC mill the pieces. I decided to use 2 pins to center both halves and make 2 slots in one of these halves so the can mode to each other according the with of the bent panel. (my explination might sound a bit... dull but it makes perfect sense to me ? )

49849271046_48b6c68721_b.jpg

49820825816_d8c4975595_b.jpg

49821135387_59d826c168_b.jpg

First test piece was pretty good although one thing we noticed was the metal buldging/making a sharp corner on both sides of the pressed form. Although I rounded the corners to match the curve of the bent panel.

49849554632_a7c3898889_b.jpg

49849554497_9b4146b12b_b.jpg

49849554357_af945a7dab_b.jpg

As it's my first time designing some die like this, I'll go a head and ask some of my colleagues at work what they think could be my problem. Hopefully we can get this right as it looks pretty promising right now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while but yet another update..

Son after asking around at work, a collegue suggested a local fabrication shop where he knew the owner.

Maybe he could give me some tips on what I could change to get a better result for the indentation, mainly the radius.

He told me if I wanted to have it done 100% correct, I should make a full mold/die where the whole shape get pressed at once.

Since I only need one of these that idea got turned down. He also told me to just cut the piece I formed out and weld it in a other shaped panel. While I was there he put the panel I had already formed in his press to see if we could get is a bit more straight.

After going back home, I decided to just try and get the radius formed some more with a hamer and chisel. I managed to get it pretty good.

49952314156_580b047465_b.jpg

Since I stamped two forms in this one, I needed another bent panel so after work I made two this time. just to be sure :)

49951831558_2f1e66e78e_b.jpg

This Saturday, we started on (finally) repairing the raintray.

While looking at the panels, I decided it might be easier to just cut the panel in two anyway.. This way I din't have to worry about getting the two bends in the right place at once. (I'm not sure how to call it, a support?)

49951813018_9d1d0fa367_b.jpg

First section welded in, next one clamped

49952313931_3fc1ab2b54_b.jpg

And finished, turned out pretty good. Might need a small bit of filler but I think I can get it pretty close by hammer and dollying it some more.

49952603247_9de5df2938_b.jpg

49952313746_873d00320f_b.jpg

49952313641_68368cdf0e_b.jpg

49952602947_7d6f973dc1_b.jpg

49952602877_41e02dd308_b.jpg

• Like 2

The rain gutter turned out great! If you make the die in three pieces rather than two it will avoid that distortion in the metal. So there will be two female pieces (maybe 6mm thick) with holes the shape of the depression. They need to be longer, with about the length of the depression on either side of the opening. The third piece is the male die. The two female sections should clamped firmly to the sheet metal sandwiching it between and considering the alignment of the holes. Once those are in place you can press the male die through the female die to form the depression. I like to lubricate the dies with some grease to help with the shrinking and stretching that has to occur in the sheet metal. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 3:27 PM, jmbeatt2 said:

The rain gutter turned out great! If you make the die in three pieces rather than two it will avoid that distortion in the metal. So there will be two female pieces (maybe 6mm thick) with holes the shape of the depression. They need to be longer, with about the length of the depression on either side of the opening. The third piece is the male die. The two female sections should clamped firmly to the sheet metal sandwiching it between and considering the alignment of the holes. Once those are in place you can press the male die through the female die to form the depression. I like to lubricate the dies with some grease to help with the shrinking and stretching that has to occur in the sheet metal. 

Thanks! I'm glad it's finally finished. I'll get it sandblasted (hopefully) this week at work.

Yeah, a colleague also suggested this, so the metal is clamped and has to stretch instead of now going where it want to go..

I do have another die in the works for the cable clips I made some while ago. (the original ones are 0.5mm and I made them in 0.8mm ut I feel like they are a bit too stiff) I spiraled down the youtube rabbit hole and found out it's possible to 3D print the dies.

So expect some further updates on those :)

Some of you might remember I made new wiring clips for the engine compartment a while ago by hand.

I used 0.8mm sheet metal on those.

49322445726_a56f658ee9_b.jpg

However, thinking about it, they are pretty stiff to bend. so I decided to try and make a small die after the good succes of my rain tray/gutter die.

I first started but measuring an original clip and modeling as close as possible in solidworks. After bumping onto a couple of videos on Youtube about 3D printed dies, this looked like the perfect test piece.

First mold printed, I later on changed the design to center the sheet metal strip.

49952603627_8c1bb0200d_b.jpg

49972919788_a3410f9970_b.jpg

49972919653_d7725bdaff_b.jpg

I'm not sure how many clips I've made but the dies held up fine

49972919558_5ea6f8f8c1_b.jpg

And a little video of it in action :) (click on the image)

49973694332_7f96cfc99a_b.jpg

If you would be interested in a set of these, feel free to message me! I have plenty of material left to make some more.

• Like 1