• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for pad recommendations for rally car

Hi,

I'm looking for pad recommendations for my rally car.  Initially I was was running a street pad, not sure what make as they came with the calipers. Recently I changed to Hawk Blue pads based on the information from Hawk which recommended that compound as having good cold performance.

In terms of stopping the car, I've no complaints they do exactly what the side of the box says but..  I was not prepared for the amount of disc wear - what are these things made of? Carborundum ?  I've destroyed a set of front rotors in less than 100 km of special stages.

Normally that wouldn't be too much of a problem, discs are cheap - right?. Well no, the local distributor for after market brakes in New Zealand has stopped supporting the E21 and sold all his stock to a another company which has put the price up to $200 per disc.

So I'm looking for a pad that has good cold performance, we generally start the stage cold and they need to work 100% at the first corner, can take more heat and has a bit more bite than a stock pad.  But also be a bit kinder on the discs

We don't do the very hard braking that track cars do, the surface tends to be the limiting factor for braking potential. 

So I'm looking at either Hawk HP+ or EBC Yellowstuff as possible pad materials.  Any reason why I should choose one over the other or is there something else I should be looking at.?

Fronts are E21 Discs / Volvo calipers, rears are E30 325 discs and calipers

Cheers

Craig

Ht10 are pretty gentile on rotors. Can't you get rotors shipped in to you from overseas? At that price I would imaging you could get them cheaper.

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

Ht10 are pretty gentile on rotors. Can't you get rotors shipped in to you from overseas? At that price I would imaging you could get them cheaper.

Yes the plan is to buy them from the US, shipping costs are a bitch and they end up about $100 each with about a 3 week lead time.

Are you just running stock e21 rotors?  If so I have a set in the box that have been sitting for two years. Got them as part of my e21 build and did not need them. Just sitting the garage along with a bunch of other parts I should never need. If you or for that matter anyone else have any interest let me know. Think USPS overseas is tolerable. Yeah it takes time to get them over there but if cheap is your main concern then you have to allow a bit more planning.

Good luck with your hunt.

post-49126-0-03274000-1459003238_thumb.j

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

Run away from blues. They are well known to eat rotors and leave a toxic brake dust that eats wheel paint.

Ht10s are no better. And require even more heat to work well.

I switched to performance friction brand years ago and love them. For your application I would suggest going for one of the endurance racing compounds. Need less heat, long lasting, and easy on rotors.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Thanks for the input,  I've decided to go with EBC yellowstuff this time around, some of the other guys in my club talked them up.  I'll look into Performance friction if they  don't measure up.

Discs are on order, FYI freight for  a pair of E21 discs Portland to Auckland NZ is NZ$120 to compare E30 rear discs are NZ$ 120 /pr from Repco

Ferodo DS3000 is very good all purpose pad for racing, rallying etc... There seems to be a distributor in Auckland. I don't remember if there was one that fits straight from box or if they needed modification. I have used them but changed to Wilwood calipers years ago so memory fails.

I haven't heard any impressive statements about EBC, haven't tried myself though.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!