• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber 32/36 stumble w/sync link

Posaune

I finally got my manual choke 32/36 starting & running what I consider very well, however, because of all of the excitement I hear on the forum about the 38/38 I'm seriously considering one. I would hate the thought of changing it out and not being able to get the 38/38 running as well. I guess I could always put the 32/36 back on though. Decisions, decisions.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

For clarification, The only reason I brought this up was not about the sync link  which I have no knowledge or experience with, but just to say how well the 38/38 carb works.  There is no stumble . They provide plenty of low end torque and smooth power throughout the power curve. I did eventually get a new 32/36 well jetted and running well on my car  but the kicker was the amount of cold start choke to make it run. The warm up was so over choked that is was extremely starved for air and ran horribly rich.  The 38/38 by comparison starts well and runs very nice during the warm up.  The low end power of two 38s working together is  sooo much better than one 32 starving for air.  Yes I've gotten 28 mpg with a semi built motor while running the 32/36. But  Who cares about mileage ?   I'm sure the sync link will help simulate a synchronized 38/38  so by all means give it a try  and enjoy it if it's working for you

Looking back now when I was restoring my first 2002 and seeking advise on what to build, I was advised by Jeremy at Ireland Engineering  to skip the 32/36 and just put on a 38/38

Only wish I had taken that advise rather than keep working on the 32/36 route

21 minutes ago, rstclark said:

I did eventually get a new 32/36 well jetted and running well on my car  but the kicker was the amount of cold start choke to make it run. The warm up was so over choked that is was extremely starved for air and ran horribly rich.  

I have what I presume to be a dumb question. Why weren't you able to adjust the choke?

Whelp,

I think the Weber 38/38 is an absolutely wonderful platform for a BMW 2002.

and 

I think a sync-linked 32/36 is a wonderful upgrade for the Weber 32/36......

Both are fun options 

I currently run a 38/38 on one car and I have a sync-linked 32/36 on two other 2002’s. All three cars really get up the road swiftly. All three have Good low end and high acceleration...

The 38/38 edges out the sync-linked 32/36 powerwise .... by a small margin......So, is it better to buy a 38/38 and bolt it straight on...Opposed  taking Up time (not much time) dialing the 32/36 ,probably so....Just so happens I bought my 32/36’s first so I made them work.....

If I had to do it over again I’d probably just go on and buy a bolt on 38/38 .Because the sync-linked literally was created to imitate the 38/38 anyway..It’s a great idea.

But of course you still have to hog out the intake or buy it hogged out for the 38/38 . That’s not a huge deal.....

But, for the sake of personal satisfaction , seeing things through, and not quitting.... I  say see this project through while saving for s 38/38

I like these challenges shucks I thrilled at the potential of you making the 32/36 work.....

Fun feces

ira