• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 drive? 02 meetup?

COUPE9

I'll just roll in when ever. Meeting in Seattle is a ways for me since we're headed to Tacoma. I'd meet y'all in Tacoma :P Either way, ya know the car, so I'll see you guys around! Putting parts in the car tomorrow to bring down. Let me know if anyone else needs anything else (PM me)

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Shit, with the way it's raining I might bring my car dirty. Screw this clean thing! We'll see how many purists I want to piss off tomorrow by bringing a dirty car......

-Nathan

On May 12, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Teelinger said:

Sounds good. We'll look for you.

Besides Brett (Bento) and Nathan (roadhog) who else is planning on going?

Also, who else is planning on meeting BlueBMW and me at El Camion in Ballard at 8am to caravan down to Tacoma?

James

Alright, well it looks like the caravan idea isn't panning out, so I'll see you down in Tacoma tomorrow!

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

Great to meet some of you guys today (James, Paul and others).  Rain definitely wasn't as bad as it could have been. 

roadhog0 - Saw this nice pic you took of my ride from your other link.  Thanks!

BMW100-my2002.JPG

Good time today. Saw some neat cars.

I didn't catch the owner's name but the blue/white box flared M2 was quite a machine. He's signed up to be at my next track day so it'll be cool to see it in action as well.

I spoke to the original owner of a 1971 Colorado 2002. The car had quite a story. It was a European delivery purchased through AAA in Seattle, and was driven over 30k miles in ~9 months before the owner shipped it back to the Seattle area. The guy's (40 something) son was with him and seemed equally enthusiastic about the car. Sounds like it'll be in good hands for another generation.

I had fun showing off all the work Patrick has done over the last few weeks. 

I didn't run into as many of you as I would've hoped. Maybe we can pre-meet for the XXX event and try to get parked together.

Coupe9- do you know how all the e9 guys were able to arrange for a row to park together? 

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Great looking show guys!!  However, I didn't get to meet any one of you!  Let's do better at Burgers & BMW's.

Bento, regarding the coupe parking, I thought more "preferential treatment" was also being given to other models as well...   ...but apparently not.  One of the organizers stated that they wanted to park vintage coupes next to the modern coupes, and how awesome that would be.  Um, huh?  No.  As we all know, the direct lineage from the E9 is the E24, and there were PLENTY of great examples of those there.  Personally, looking at the field, I think the vintage could've wrapped the perimeter road just fine...   ...coupes where they were, and put the 2002's where the Z3M-coupes were, and continuing around the bend towards the tents.

BUT, everyone has an opinion, and is exactly the reason I stopped organizing this event.  Everyone (including me) has their own "spin" on things.

That all aside, I felt that it was a great event (even with the rain), and so many great cars came out...   ...a lot from Oregon, Canada, and I even saw an Idaho plate.

Anyways, see you all at B&B...   ...and I MUST know who drives the Fjord Blue 2002 with panasports!

Thanks Coupe. I didn't feel wronged, I was just curious if something like that could be prearranged or if an early arrival by a volunteer or two from the group could reserve a section. 

Brent

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

I think on the sign up site, it stated that cars would be parked as they arrived and if you wanted to park together, you would need to arrive at the same time.

It was. Doesn't mean we're not gonna complain LOL!

-Nathan

Okay. My questions were to understand our options for the XXX show if there is a desire to park the 2002s together.

Maybe meet at Issaquah Coffee Company at 9 or 9:30 and then caravan over to XXX?

http://issaquahcoffee.com

There should be plenty of parking that early in the adjacent Gilman Village lot so we don't block the closest spots for patrons.

Any other ideas for a good combo of parking and coffee/breakfast?

Brent

Brent, that sounds good. I'm in for 9am and will bring some orange cones to save spots for other 02s. I think I've got 4-6 of them.

Maybe we could go out for a group drive afterwards. Anyone have suggestions for a route?

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

I know that at least in years past they have tried to keep similar chassis together (02, E30, E36, etc), but I'm down to meet ahead of time then roll on in.

-Nathan

James- 9 sounds good. I think I have some little cones somewhere as well. I'd probably be game for a drive after. Will probably need to confirm when we get a bit closer to the day. I have a route idea when I'm ready to commit. :)

Nathan- good to hear they try to group the cars. If nothing else, we'll make the volunteer's jobs a little earlier by showing up as a group.

Brent

11 hours ago, bento said:

Nathan- good to hear they try to group the cars. If nothing else, we'll make the volunteer's jobs a little earlier by showing up as a group.

Really, it just depends on the year. So we'll see when we get there.

-Nathan

It was great seeing all the 02s this weekend and meeting a few of you as well. Unfortunately I wasn't able to bring my car as it's undergoing a heart transplant at the moment. Here are a few photos from the day. Can you spot Patrick's handiwork in the engine bay shot?

Cheers,

Christian

DSCF9932_cb.jpg

DSCF9924_cb.jpg

DSCF9916_cb.jpg

DSCF9922_cb.jpg

DSCF9946_cb.jpg

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors