• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002AD

bchased

I am forced to respond to this issue -- as much as it pains me. I don't like insinuating, allow me to be more direct.

After purchasing my original BMW 2002 turbo  I called 2002 AD and spoke with Ben, (the prior owner said that Ben would be happy to answer questions about the car, as he had done nothing with it since he received it from Ben)  and asked him why the 2002 turbo did not have its original gearbox  etc, which should've been a factory heavy duty 4 speed, which was upgraded, according to my research, to take the extra power. He stated that he didn't realize the turbo 4 speed gearbox was any different From stock, and  could I inform him further about it (i.e. Specifics about the BMW factory upgraded four-speed gear box which was provided with the turbo to handle it's extra power.) Byron of course would be a better source for 2002 turbo information, however, my understanding is that  turbos had had stock  heavier duty gear boxes  and different output shafts . It appears to me that the prior gearbox in it had been removed, and the 4 speed, nonturbogearbox, and driveshaft both with 2002 A.D. moniker yellow paint written on them had been placed into the car prior to its sale from Ben . I do not know what happened to the original parts .  I was told when I purchased the car that it was a  stock, Complete, factory BMW 2002 turbo purchased from Ben at 2002 A.D.   ---which had NO body worked previously done on it, as I mentioned before.  I find it highly unlikely  that the prior owner would've purchased the car, and painted 2002 A.D. in yellow paint on various parts such as the driveshaft and gear box before selling it to me. I also find it highly unlikely  that the prior owner would have presented the car (and  done massive shitty bodywork on it) then presented it any differently, than it was presented to him, as he stated "truthfully", in his opinion, to me that that the Car's best quality is that it had never had ANY body work done on it, etc.  and it contained all of its original parts.  

I have absolutely no interest in hurting Ben, or 2002 A.D. I am however, a scientist devoted to the truth who's had many old Porsche 911's and BMWs, which I started working on at  age 15 years.

The car was significantly misrepresented to me.

I cannot say how it was presented to the prior owner, I was not there,

only Ben can tell you that.   I would be happy to hear his perspective, perhaps he would share it with all of us.  

Why did a original BMW 2002 turbo THAT WAS NOT RUNNING have IT'S GEARBOX , DIFFERENTIAL AND DRIVESHAFT REPLACED. Ben states :

7 hours ago, 2002AD said:

We want to assure him that we absolutely did not take any parts off of that car which belonged to it. 

I GUESS IT CAME FROM TOKYO WITH 2002 AD yellow paint signatured junkyard parts on it.  

I can only convey the manner in which the car was presented  to me prior to my purchase.

If you would like a factual, objective perspective on its presentation all you have to do is look on the 2002 FAQ for the original history of this car, as it generated much interest on this forum, and it's Bring a trailer and eBay listing History is electronically preserved, so you do not have to take my word for this, as regards to how the car was originally presented. 

There is an inscription above the Naval Academy in Germany  , a doorway lintel which states roughly "say not this is the truth, but so it seems to me to be as I see the things I now think I see." Gilbert and Sullivan would state "things are not always what they seem, skim milk masquerades as cream."  Objective reality would appear to be a relatively precise thing, however, there is more subjective perception within human neurological function than most people realize. 

My perspective, as a car guy and scientist with 20 years + training, is that the gentleman I purchased this car from-- looked at the car And probably nearly defecated in his pants when he realized how much bodywork and Mecanical /cosmetic rehabilitation if needed.  He wanted to get out from under it due to its significant bodywork and other mechanical needs it as fast as he could. 

I cannot say this is the truth, it is merely my subjective perception.

I wish Ben, and 2002 A.D. a prosperous and happy future. I adopt a Buddhist perspective of praying for others happiness. I'm not trying to disparage anyone's reputation, I am only stating that if this car had been honestly presented to me I never would've bought it. 

This is specifically germane to the crux of this particular FAQ thread. As I stated before a pre-purchase inspection is the BEST of ideas. I was stupid, I did not have a local person examine this car before I bought it.

Again, I bear no one ill wIll,    I am,  however, devoted to an accurate representation of reality and search for truth.  The car is finally almost done, it is the longest project I have ever encountered. But it does reinforce my prior admonition,

caveat emptor

Sincerely, Peter

DSCN0958.JPG

DSCN1037.JPG

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

on the very bright side.

you're gonna have a very nice and clean 2002 turbo when its done soon!

it really sucks money and time to have gone through all you went through though, but you are saving one of the most important cars made (Buddhist zen karma coming back to you) and one that will ultimately by worth 1+ million in the future, hell the very cleanest 2002 turbo's are 250k now.....

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series