• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002AD

bchased

I'm thinking of biting on the Sahara/tan '72 tii from 2002AD.  (it's on their website.)  This would be my first 2002, and...I'm in Maine!  I've read the previous threads about their shop and dealing with Ben, so I know their might be some hiccups, but...  Any suggestions?  Recommendations?  Thanks for your help

On 1/6/2016 at 5:29 PM, danco_ said:

I need to make a run down there and meet Ben. I hear he has a 1600 with a 292 cam and dual webers. I need to see that thing.

Uh-oh, danco needs 100 hp and he needs it fast!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I spent a lot of money traveling, flight, hotel, rental car

Mechanic ect to inspect a car which turned out to be s complete fraud. Too many lies to explain here, much bondo

I took pictures and documented the car.

A month later that very same car appeared on 2002ad's web site, so I called them and sent my pictures to explain

all the hidden rust and new bad paint. ( the car was in south carolina) 2002ad is in California.

2002ad told me they only act as intermediaries and post

what information they are given. They ignored my evidence

And continued to advertise the car.

That's how they do it.

2002AD is on my way to work. I cruise by all the time and see a veritable fleet of 02's and NK's outside....its impressive!

I need to make a run down there and meet Ben. I hear he has a 1600 with a 292 cam and dual webers. I need to see that thing. 

Whoa I didnt know that! I knew he drove a 1600....but.. I need to go and talk to Ben myself then...

Edited by arminyack

I looked at a few cars via 2002AD and what's noted by a previous poster is accurate.  He advertises cars on behalf of owners so an inquiry leads to an exchange of contacts; you would be purchasing the car from the individual and not the shop.  The cars are not on premises.  Ben is very helpful and accommodating, but as echoed above, due diligence and all that fun stuff.   :)

I've dealt with Ben on several occasions and 2002ad rebuilt my head in February last year.  They do very good work but, Ben is very busy so just stay in contact with him.  I know that has nothing to do with buying / selling a car but, his part in it I'm sure will all be above board.  Plus, his shop is a great place to poke around in.  He's got some pretty cool stuff up in the front office as well as in the back work area.

Edited by mmichalik

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

Was hoping to pick up a car from him, went down spoke with him and took some test drives. My feeling is that several issues I've read about relate to the buyer's expectations and purchasing sight unseen etc than the company. 

I passed on it (we'll see if that as a good idea) just because I don't think I have the budget for the restoration the "survivor" car needed. 

Get the latest Classic Motorsports Magazine to read about a very cool Alpina 2002 Ben is resurrecting.

There are companies you can hire to perform a detailed inspection for you - its costs about $350 or so, depending on the type of car. Automobileinspections.com is one I've used in the past on an inspection of a supposedly perfect and unmolested Ferrari Testarossa. Without getting into details, they saved us from making a very expensive mistake. Keep in mind, they won't tell you to buy the car or not, but they'll provide you with lots of info to make an informed decision.

Edited by geofftii2002

My BMW 2002 turbo was purchased by the prior owner from Ben at 2002 A.D.    The car was presented as having original bodywork, and all Of its correct 2002 original turbo pieces intact. When I got the car, it clearly had massive prior bodywork and an entire front end put on it, the original turbo gearbox was missing, as was the factory differential. I do not know if Ben removed these parts before selling the car, but that very much appears to be the case. Less likely that is the way he imported it from Tokyo. I do know that the driveshaft, and gearbox and other parts had yellow paint on them with 2002 A.D.written, - written on them in junkyard scrawl, conveying that they took parts from their own supply and placed them into the car. My perspective is that parts were removed , at least the original gearbox and differential,  and the car was then was clearly misrepresented to the prior owner, who then conveyed to me all the incorrect things that he had been told about the car.

All I can say is you must have a prepurchase inspection.

Caveat emptor, sincerely Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum