• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ferrari Vac and fuel line rehab

Kidasters

Success!

20161001_105438_zpsqwxzsg7i.jpg

With the cool weather we are having (it was 60 this morning - so nice) - I went out to the garage.

Balanced side to side again.

Balanced front to back.

Side to side check - made some changes.

Front to back again - some tweaks.

Mixture screws.  I had some way too far out, and was running way too rich.  Made corrections.  

Idle is good at 900.

Did a victory lap of the neighborhood with the engine lid off (and the roof off).  Such a joy to have the car out on the street again.  Smiling from ear to ear.

The scariest thing that happened - I almost backed it off the lift without putting the ramps on!  Luckily I remembered in time.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

You almost did a Ferris Bueller! :D

Nice wheels!

Cars and Cawfee today.

Beammmer and Stevenola came up.

Cheers,

IMAG0053.jpg

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Fantastic!  Glad you got the car back on the street, again, Ken.  Halloween is coming up, if you don't have a red Hawaiian shirt, Detroit Tigers hat, and fake mustache already; then I don't even know what the point of owning a 308 is... :D

Image result for magnum PI

Now, get busy on the 2002!

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Ray:  :wacko:

Ed - yeah - I have all those things, except for the Tigers hat.  I opted for the Da Nang hat.  I even bought the ring.

Actually though - this year I am going as Indiana Jones.  Mama freaked out a little when I bought the bullwhip.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Crap.

I thought I had it, but I had a feeling that I didn't do something right.  Took the airbox off today, which is a bit of an ordeal, because the airhorns bolt it to the carb tops.  To remove the airbox, it's 16 little nuts and washers that I'm terrified I'm going to drop down a carb throat.  

Anyway - got it apart, and everything was out of whack.  Spent a good portion of the morning messing with mixture.  Never could get it to stop popping through a few of the carbs.  Finally just walked away.

Went back out there later and decided I don't know the condition of the plugs.  Because people tend to run the cars rich, I wondered if I fouled a plug.  So - I pulled and changed all the plugs.  It was a huge pain.   With the transverse V8 - the "back" plugs - are easy.  Except for cylinders 1 and 2.  On 1, you have to remove the belt from the "air pump" so you can move the pump out of the way.   On 2, there is an engine brace that you have to work around.  But - I did both.

On the "front" - it's right up next to the firewall.  My locking ratchet extensions and spark plug socket wouldn't fit between the firewall and the head.  Dang.  But wait!  My car came complete with it's tool set.  And, in the tool kit - the Ferrari factory plug tool.  Worked like a dream.   

Thank you previous owners for keeping the tool kit in the car.  I found 2 tool kits on e-bay.  One was $1100.  One was $1600.  Oh - and the final one that also had the jack?  $5000.  Seriously.

So - all 8 plugs changed in about 1.5 hours.  I reset all my carbs to "2" turns out on the mixture screws.  I'll try again tomorrow to get everything squared away.

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Ken,

I may need your assistance with the 911 exhaust...

Removed old rusty muffler (had new straps)

Removed RS heat exchanger (broke one stud today)

Removed old crossover pipe (seriously crusty)

Removed (5) of (6) nuts for LS heat exchanger

Ordered SSI heat exchangers, Dansk muffler, oil pipes, gaskets and hardware from Pelican tonight.  Hope everything fits the 77 Targa with 81/82 3.0 engine. 

Wife commented that she will most likely not get a ride in the car for a few more months.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

12 hours ago, Kidasters said:

Anything I can do to help you sir, I'm happy to do.

Just let me know.

Just ordered the head stud repair kit from Pelican. Don't want to pull the engine if I mess up even more stuff.  After I am finished, can let you borrow it if necessary (sorry to add to your list of car chores).  After I pulled the rusty muffler (it had been welded several times before), something rolled around inside when I tipped it.  The crossover pipe uses a fiber like donut where it attaches to the flange at the primary silencer. I had to cut the clamp and chisel the ring to remove it from the car.  Weird how both heater boxes are wide open (no heat inside) but I am still getting lots of heat no matter how I adjust the dash and tunnel levers. More investigation required.  Hope the new exhaust system isn't too loud...

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

You ordered this - correct?

https://www.stomskiracing.com/products/exhaust-head-stud-repair-kit

Everyone says that's the one to order.

Stainless hardware and lots of copper anti-seize when you put it back together Jim.  It's a super high heat area.

On your "flapper boxes"  - you say they are wide open, but do they work?  911 heat isn't as confusing as people think.  My car has auto heat that actually works (only because I rebuilt my autoheat module with parts from 2 dead modules).  But - with manual heat it's not that bad.  Each red lever controls one flapper.  When flappers are open, the fan on the engine blows the air through the heat exchangers and then out the flappers.  Are your footwell fans coming on?  That could be a short in a wire somewhere?  Is it just outside air coming through the plenum?  That could be rotten foam flappers in the blower box up front.

If your flappers are rotted out and don't work - let me know. I have two that I bought and are in the garage that look brand new.  We could make a deal.

Speaking of deals - I owe Ed Z the stock air filter housing for a 2002 with the weber adapter.  I need to ship it today.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

• 3 weeks later...

Did I mention?  Changed the plugs, fiddled with the carbs more.  I think I have it.  No more popping.  It was doing one thing that bothered me - when you turned the car off, it would sputter or "diesel" a little.  Reading up on that - it happens when you don't have the idle set correctly.  

To get to the idle screws, you have to take the airbox off (again).   I'm getting pretty good at that, unfortunately.  I had the airbox off in about 10 minutes today.  It helped that I didn't totally fix the air horns down, since I ordered all new nylon lock nuts for that.  Just ran 2 of the 4 on all of them.  

With the airbox off, started it up and let it idle and warm up.  Turned it off and it sputtered.  Made 2 adjustments (each time 1/2 of a "flat" open), and it stopped.  Car idling happily at 900 rpm.  

It may not be perfect, but it's close enough.  My buddy is coming by today to help me put the engine cover back on the car.  

Wow - that only took 15 months???? <hangs head in shame>

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

• 4 years later...

Follow up 5 years later.

In 2018 - I took it to the local Ferrari shop.  I wanted timing belts done.  It's one of those things you are supposed to do before things get ugly.  Well - I did it.  Plus - he did a bunch more work I didn't want done - fiddled with plugs.  Changed oil. Fiddled with hoses.

Got the car back, and it ran like shit.  Wanted to idle at 2000 rpm when hot.  Did I mention he removed the belt to the air pump , but we didn't re-jet the carbs? 

Anyway - took it back to him, he had it for another month.  When I got it back, it was still acting up.  Instead of taking it back, I put it on the lift.  I figured I'd get to it......

That was May of 2018.

I was looking at it last weekend, and I said I need to fix it or sell it.  Lowered the lift and started working.  Air Cleaner off.  Re-attached the belt on the air pump.  Balanced carbs - front/back - side/side.  All out of whack.  Idle adjustment was messed up.  Throttle stop for idle was set wrong.  Two spark plugs were not attached correctly.   Fuel leak.....

Why did I pay that guy????

After 4-1/2 hours of leaning over the back of the car, Idle is at 900 RPM.  Front/back and side/side is balanced.  I still need to mess with the mixture, but I'm way happier.  I'm never going to take it to that shop again.  

And how the hell does 3 years go by so fast?

• Like 1

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.