• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 calipers - Cardone - Ate rebuild and new Korean

gbloods

I ordered a set and one is an original Ate rebuild and the other is a brand new caliper from Korea. Will they perform the same? Should I attempt to contact the vendor and get matching calipers.
Thanks,

Greg

Wow- I'm surprised new is again available.

The answer is, of course, we have no idea.  It all depends on the quality of the

new caliper versus how well/poorly the rebuild was done.  Generically speaking,

the rebuilds seem to be done pretty well in the last few years..

...and Korea makes reasonably good stuff- except when they don't.

Me, I'd take both apart and see how they looked.

And then post pictures on the interwebs.

But then, me, I'd have bought junkyard calipers and

put new kits into them instead.

And save the interwebs.

No help here, sorry.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

conkithen and xferboy, were your Cardone calipers Ate rebuilds, new Koreans or both?

I always try and buy ATE if available so yes they were but clearly the outer half looked like a new casting.

I a little custom fitting never stops me from making it work. Part of the fun but can be a bummer for most folks new at this game.

But what do I know

Taking these calipers apart is no great shakes. You dont have to split them. If they have been rebuilt properly you should be able to pull the pistons out with your fingers. Check out this thread for rebuilding details http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/165539-reviving-the-tii-after-five-years-hibernation/?hl=+johnh 

thanks - my pistons are pretty rusted in. Ill try the approach in this ^ thread