• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto to manual swap. Keep the pedal and lever. It matters.

eurotrash

My car came to me swapped. Four speed. Always had pedal problems. Particularly after fluffy new carpets. Turns out the auto pedal lever wasn't swapped into the manual pedal box, and the manual lever scraped the wider auto hump. I even used the BFH to massage the tunnel IN! Fast fwd to my motor build and side draft build and the problem amplified. I couldn't get good pedal travel and WOT to save my life. Turns out that the manual lever/auto pedal combo had the lever way off center, protruding out the right side, and also hitting the top of the slot on the back of the auto pedal before WOT. I have been frustrated for MONTHS! I had tried every adjustment I could conjure up!

One of the Chicago guys contacted me and offered to include a new auto lever in his Walleth and Nesh order for me, and I finally installed it tonight, after more wrestling had occurred.

Boom.

I have the ability to adjust pedal height at idle, install a Tii stop, and still fine tune WOT to exactly when the pedal hits the stop.

YES. They are that different.

Dammit!

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I found this out when I did my auto to manual trans swap. I put a manual pedal box in and tried to snap my auto pedal on the nubs and manual lever all I got was a contorted mess that did not work. Because of the wider auto trans tunnel, you have to use the auto throttle lever and pedal.

That's a valuable tidbit--haven't seen that referred to before.  Needs to be added to the article on automatic-to-5 speed conversion.

Ya learn something new every day about these cars!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite