• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear shock tower rust replacement?

Utah02

I've got a 1972 02 that has some pretty rusty rear shock towers. They aren't completely rusted through but they are pretty close. I'd like to replace or repair them before the damage gets worse and costs more. What do you guys recommend? As of right now the rust on both is about a 4 inch diameter circle on the outside viewed from the trunk and underneath is not rusted through. Should I replace the whole tower or weld on a new piece? Thanks for the help. I'll post pictures soon.

Any recommendations on where to pick up new shock towers? Or a good reliable source for used ones?

Also, are the pre-1974 models interchangeable (identical)?

I know this is a fairly common topic, so if there is already a thread with this info, feel free to direct me there.

Thanks!

Utah02,

My recommendation for your shock absorbers are Sachs or Bilstein. I wouldn't go with KYB.

I get them pretty cheap through my commercial account with WorldPac if you're interested.

Good luck on your project! Make sure to post pics. 

Alex

Dallas, TX

Any recommendations on where to pick up new shock towers? Or a good reliable source for used ones?

Also, are the pre-1974 models interchangeable (identical)?

I know this is a fairly common topic, so if there is already a thread with this info, feel free to direct me there.

Thanks!

• 5 years later...