• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5speed install questions

2joejoe2

I believe the factory shift tower accommodates for the uneven tower mounting bolts.  Maybe when folks modify them (shortening) or aftermarket units are used they are not aligned correctly. I still have the original 4-speed mounts on my car which makes it very difficult to R&R the 5 speed tranny.  I'll think about removing them this year.

FWIW, my 5 speed tranny sits a little off center to the right.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Sure you can.  People don't remove transmissions to change a slave cylinder!

You may have to lower the rear of the transmission though and gather a bunch of extensions to reach from the rear to get at the nuts.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I think I got the trans where I like it. It's about 7mm from the left tunnel trans mount. I was able to flip the slave cylinder with a modified 13mm box wrench. To make the shift tower level I just spaced off the one side with washers....a little gheto I know.

post-41826-14225916482949_thumb.jpgpost-41826-1422591666108_thumb.jpg

I saw a Inka Tii at the XXX Rootbeer meet this last year with a five speed in it and it had the factory, or what looked like a OEM replacement rubber boot.

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller