• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight Buckets: 2 Types, Old And New? How To Tell L From R?

schuetz1619

My vehicle: Model 1971 Euro 2002 tii vin 2700056

(1) I see from the parts catalog that the headlight buckets used for the US model 67-73 cars differ from those for the US model 74-76. I suspect that I may have a late US bucket in my early car. How does one tell the difference between the old and the new buckets?

(I realize that the Euro buckets were different from those designed to hold sealed beams [uS]; I have the latter.)

(2) A previous poster kindly posted the following procedure for telling the Left bucket from the Right bucket:

"The way to tell left from right is to examine the bottom of the bucket from the underside. the circular part that is welded to the square frame is welded in different positions and this will correspond to the opposite of the angle that the nose panel and the mounting plate are located in the nose panel."

I confess that I cannot decipher this. Could anyone possibly state it differently?

Many thanks to all who answer.

Gordon Paine

Eugene, OR

My vehicle: Model 1971 Euro 2002 tii vin 2700056

"The way to tell left from right is to examine the bottom of the bucket from the underside. the circular part that is welded to the square frame is welded in different positions and this will correspond to the opposite of the angle that the nose panel and the mounting plate are located in the nose panel."

I confess that I cannot decipher this. Could anyone possibly state it differently?

To better understand this, think about it this way:

The nose of the car is shaped such that the center of the nose is the forwardmost pat of the front, with each side angling back.

So, because each headlight sits at one of the ends of the front of the car, if the headlight (and the metal circular part of the headlight frame) was not angled, the light beam would not point straight ahead.  It would point outwards further to the left (in the case of the left headlight) and further to the right (in the case of the right headlight) than required to get light in front of the car.

This means that in order for the light to point straight ahead of each headlight, the circular part of the metal frame has to be welded in an orientation (or angle) that is OPPOSITE of the angle of each side of the nose of the car.

So, if you hold each headlight bucket in position and look at the circular part of the metal frame directly from overhead, you will be able to tell if you have "corrected" the angle and therefore have the headlight itself pointing straight ahead.  Or if you have "aggravated" the angle and now have the headlight pointing even further off to the outside.

Regards, Maurice.

Here are some pics of the buckets removed from my 69 2002 (US Version)

IMG_9681_zpsbd3b2d14.jpg

IMG_9678_zpsa4cd5ea7.jpg

IMG_9676_zps2402b74e.jpg

If you look at the BOTTOM of the buckets, the HELLA part number may still be printed on them.  Maybe "SB" stands for sealed beam?

RE  = right

LT = left

The chrome filler pieces are also marked this way.

IMG_9679_zpsf2e2066b.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"