• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Clutch ??? 5 Speed

1Eighteen

A few months ago I bought a E21 5 Speed box (NOT the close ratio).

It came completely bare.  I am starting to build up my parts ready for the cars resto/mod.

The car is a 72 Tii.  I think they all had a 228mm cutch ? but I am unsure what kit I need to buy to fit the 5 speed ?

I assume (possibly wrongly), that it is just the release bearing that would be different ? 

Sorry if this has been covered a thousand times, I have tried the search.

If you use the 228mm flywheel you will need the E21 323i T/O bearing.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

Edited by Emyers

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

From Ireland Engineering website:

These are the parts necessary for a Getrag 245 5-speed conversion for your BMW 2002. This transmission is typically found in E21 320i's from 1977-09/1982. 

-DRIVE SHAFT - Shortened, rebuilt, balanced, and assembled with new center bearing. 
Option 1: 3-Bolt Nose (depending on the 245's output flange) 
Option 2: 4-Bolt Nose 

-Shift Plate and Selector Rod kit - Comes with complete shift plate, rear support hardware, foam isolator pad, shortened selector rod, and selector rod joint and dowel. 

-Transmission cross member and mount - Comes with HD rubber mount, or optional urethane mount. 

-Short Shift Lever - or later (post Feb. 1974 build date) shift lever. 

-Speedo Cable (longer) 

-Stainless Steel Clutch Line setup - Includes the stainless steel flex line along with the appropriate hard line. 

-Clutch Set: Pressure plate, disc, and throw out bearing 
option 1: 228mm (good time to upgrade to a 228mm from 215mm system [just need the 228 flyhweel]) 
option 2: 215mm 

**Throw out bearing - If for whatever reason you don't want to replace the entire clutch setup. 
Option 1: 228mm 
Option 2: 215mm 

-Guibo (flex disc) 
Option 1: 6 hole (for 3 bolt drive shaft) 
Option 2: 8 hole (for 4 bolt drive shaft) 

-Brass Clutch Pivot Pin: NOT required but The factory clutch pivot pin is made from plastic and wears over time. Replacing the pivot pin with the brass pin while the transmission is out is a good idea. 

-Clutch Slave Cylinder: The Clutch Slave on the getrag 245 mounts to the outside of the bell housing.

Related Item(s)

Code Name Price   Availability   025spshaft3 Shortened 3-bolt Drive Shaft for 5-speed Conversion $395.00 Each.   025spshaft4 Shortened 4-bolt Drive Shaft for 5-speed Conversion $325.00 Each.   02shaftguibo Drive Shaft Guibo (flex disc) 8 bolt $44.00 Each.   02shaftguibo6bolt Drive Shaft Guibo (flex disc) 6 bolt - 5 Speed $44.00 Each.   025spplate Shift Plate for 5-speed Conversion $152.00 Kit. Out of Stock. 025spcross Rear Cross Member for 5-speed Conversion $110.00 Each.   025spgl Short Shift Gear Lever for 5-speed Conversion $110.00 Each.   025spcable Long Speedo Cable for 5-speed Conversion $75.00 Each. Out of Stock. 025spline Long Clutch Line for 5-speed Conversion $30.00 Each.   02c228 215mm Clutch Kit - 5-Speed Conversion - for 2002 and Tii $255.00 Kit.   02cs5sp Clutch Slave Cylinder for 5-speed Conversion $39.00 Each.   02tii228 228mm Clutch Kit - 5 Speed Conversion - for 2002 and Tii $355.00 Kit.   025spto215 215mm Throw-out Bearing for 5-speed $38.00 Each.   025spto228 228mm Throw-out Bearing for 5-speed $86.00 Each.   pivotpin Brass Performance Clutch Pivot Pin $19.50 Each.  

The kits usually come with a TO bearing so you won't likely find one that will work for the 5-speed. You will need to buy the parts individually to replace your clutch.  If you get it apart and discover your flywheel was replaced with a 215mm then you will need a different TO bearing so it is good to know before you order parts.

As I recall the 228mm requires the E21 323i TO bearing and the 215mm requires the E21 320i TO bearing.

74 Golf

you won't likely find one that will work for the 5-speed. You will need to buy the parts individually to replace your clutch.  

Not so, the links above show a 2002 228mm 5-speed specific clutch kit.  

But yes, OP it's good to double check what you've already got since after 40 years the probability of things being changed around is high enough to warrant a closer look prior to buying bits. 

Not so, the links above show a 2002 228mm 5-speed specific clutch kit.  

But yes, OP it's good to double check what you've already got since after 40 years the probability of things being changed around is high enough to warrant a closer look prior to buying bits. 

Andrew,

Is there a Sachs part number for that kit or is that something you put together?

74 Golf