• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Over Heats And Shuts Off

blake654

Whenever you're troubleshooting and messing with gasoline and an electric fuel pump, have an old wet towel to smother small fires, and a dry chemical fire extinguisher for the big ones.  You don't want a 2002 flambe.  Gas is scary stuff...particular in vapor form, like around a hot engine!

As the old sargeant on Hill Street Blues said, "Be careful out there!"

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yeah well I just swapped in this engine and I'm figuring out the bugs. I could take it to a shop but rather learn my self. If I just have someone else fix it then I won't learn

That is a good attitude and you have a great resource here on the board, start putting together a laundry list based on what has been said and if any of it confuses you just ask questions.  This board is GREAT about not flaming people who actually try to learn (unlike alot of other boards)

Here is an incompete list of things I would check out:

1. fuel system (it looks a little scary to me, figure out what is going on there and square it away first, fuel is dangerous and engine fires suck)

2. tidy up all loose electrical, get rid of unnecessary aftermarket stuff, connect your temp gauge.

3. figure out your choke situation

4. install the correct battery and make sure your grounds are all correctly attached

5. put a hose clamp on your brake booster hose, if it leaks your engine will run like crap and your braking will be compromised

6. get the correct brake fluid hose on your brake fluid reservoir and don't use hose clamps (they can break the plastic and the one you have on there is waaaay the wrong size anyway)

I hope this helps you in identifying what needs to be done, generally I knock out the big stuff first then do the fine tuning (like if you have a vacuum leak then there is no point in trying to tune the carb, or if your car is about to burst into flames then there is no point in doing anything else to it until the safety stuff is done)

Edited by FunkyLaneO

74 Golf

My car will over heat after driving for a while then it won't start till I jump it any ideas why I checked everything.

Will the car start after it cools down? If it requires a jump, check your battery voltage before starting and while the car is running. Not running, it should have about 12.6 volts. If not you may need a new battery if your charging system is working properly. Running it should jump up to 13.5+ volts. If both check out, your starter maybe bad, drawing too many amps.

If you put in a new water pump, radiator and thermostat, I would take the thermostat out and check it on the stove to see if it is working They have been know to fail right out of the box. The temperature sensor on the water inlet is not hooked up to the gauge. What makes you think it is overheating? Is the gauge working?

It does look like you have both a mechanical and electric fuel pump. You only need one. Maybe the mechanical pump does not work, thus the need for the electric pump. Check your fuel pressure. It should be under 3 psi with your carburetor.

Use the search function and you will learn a lot from this site. Once you have everything sorted out, you will have a much better understanding of you car. Let us know what you find.