• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Original Paint 69 02 On Bat

MikeG

Are you keeping the Ronals?  

1971 2002 Malaga sold 1980

1974 Bavaria Riviera sold 1980

1972tii Riviera now white HPDE car

1984 325E (new) Henna sold 1992

1995 ///M3 (new) Avus sold 2005

1971 2002 Riviera 2572059

My intension is to keep stock appearance radio, wheels, engine bay --and

Take to bmwcca meets

Any positive comments toward that goal

Would be welcome

West Palm,

I'm admittedly at the far end of the spectrum -- my '76 runs its original Solex carb, original emissions controls, 165HR13 Michelin XAs tires, etc. -- but my primary suggestions are the following. I have a set of Ronal R2s and I love them. But at least for shows, etc., I'd get a set of the original 4.5x13 steel rims with full wheel covers. I would definitely put a set of 165HR13 XAs tires on this set of steelies. Here's the best current price: $932 for four, shipping included. You'll also need tubes for XAs tires.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coker-Michelin-Radial-Tire-165-13-Blackwall-51206-Set-of-4-/331217537673?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Tires&hash=item4d1e1a8a89&vxp=mtr

Second, and I have my flame suit on for this, ditch the Weber carb and replace it with the original Solex, full air cleaner, winter/summer pre-heating box, hose, etc., the way BMW intended an '02 to look! Get the Solex overhauled by someone who knows Solex carbs. The picture below is my '76 and hence the air cleaner is larger than a '69's air cleaner; and your car's was probably gray, but you get the idea! If you MUST run a Weber -- I admit they're great carbs and more serviceable and adjustable than a Solex -- there are adapters that allow you to use the stock air cleaner assembly. The problem with most of these is that they're too tall for the hood to close -- and you DON'T want to wind up with a dent in your beautiful hood! People have modified these adapters and/ or original air cleaners so they are the correct height EVEN with a Weber.

Minor annoyances on mine: a BMW battery would look far better than that green thing I currently have. I'm also bothered by my blue coil, but I already have the paint to "fix" that problem; I just need to do it! Think about these issues for your new car.

Congratulations again!

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-05728000-1403455371_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

West Palm,

It looks like this car found the right new owner!

And as to correct radios, there's lots of info on this forum. Here's a thread focusing on Blaupunkts but there's also good info about Beckers in other threads:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/144707-dating-2002-era-blaupunkt-radios/?p=943049

The following has a bit more about Beckers:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/67621-what-is-the-preferred-vintage-radio/?hl=becker%20europa%20stereo

The most likely original radio to find in a '69 2002 would probably have been the monaural version of the Blaupunkt Frankfurt, with a '68 or '69 date code!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

one "upgrade" I would undo is to remove the 'tii distributor' and put a vacuum advance unit in its place.  (no matter which of the two carburetors you choose).  

I made the switch back to vacuum from the 002 'upgrade' and could not believe the improvement.

(Jeff at Advanced Distributors can match it to your specific needs).

Beeeautiful car by the way!

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02