• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying Tips For A 2000Ish 3 Series

bcarey

Hi all,

I'm contemplating picking up a 2000ish 3 Series, probably a wagon, as a back-up driver/grocery getter. There are some seemingly good deals for 2000-2003 cars in my area right now. I heard that some years were made outside of Germany, and weren't as reliable? Do you have any buying tips, or anything particular to these years/models that I need to keep an eye out for? Assume the car will have 100k+ miles.

Thanks!

well, as the owner of a 2002 325it for the last dozen years and 110k miles.......

The e46 is not a solid platform like the e36 or e30.  Many, many more things to break.  Way too many computers controlling everything. 

mine has been a complete maint nightmare.  normal e46 cooling system issues, CCV issue , oil leaks, the abs computer, hvac computer and fan control, three sets of control arm bushings, one control arm, transmission computer (auto), transmission cooler, steering hoses, various engine sensors, four 02 sensors, vanos, alternator, intake valve manifold, two ignition coils, radiator and the electric rear window latch randomly opens due to wiring chafe somewhere in the hatch harness(common issue with tourings).   Sunroof broke at 80k miles (common e46 issue), cold air injection system, etc, etc, etc.There is always something broken on the car.  shocks and struts were totally gone by 70k miles.  I have not gotten around to replacing them yet  and I am not thrilled with having to take most of the rear interior apart to get at the RSM’s.  Springs are known to break, but mine have not.  I have spent a lot of time fixing the car myself, but some items required taking to dealer to connect up to their diagnostic computer ($$$$).

the deals seem good because you are going to need a bunch of money to fix everything.  my advice....buy something else.

2xM3

Mlytle tells the tale.  The E46 may be just less of a headache than my wife's 2002 C240 MB sedan.   MB used fiber-optic cable for all the electrical systems and the front turn signals, lamps, climate control, audio and headlight washers have given me fits. 

Now - if you find an E46 that someone (like Marshall) has worked out the "bugs"  - buy it and keep your Triple A membership active.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I'm glad I asked! Especially appreciative of your input, Mlytle, as I had taken the E46's place in your driveway as a stamp of approval. I just need the occasional reliable ride – I bike to work most days – with airbags for my kid, and was hoping that the offspring of my beloved 02 would fit the bill. I suppose any 10+ year old car with 100k+ miles will have some mix of these problems, but the inclusion of the computer is the real kick in the pants. The search continues. 

the e46 touring is a wonderful car to drive and use. it is my wife's ride and but for the reliability would be the perfect car for your intent. other's may relate better maint experience than i have had, but if you check e46fanatics or bimmerforums websites, there are a lot of "common issues" with the e46's. our e46 must have that list and is systematically checking them off...

i can't imagine the high costs of maintaining one out of warranttee if you had to pay a shop to do all the work. it has only broken down on my wife once (radiator expansion tank cracked) primarily because i catch most of the issues before it does.

ooo, items i forgot in my list of things replaced...both front door window regulators and the central locking computer.

as jgerock says, if you can find one with documented history and see a bunch of the common issues fixed...it might be worth a look.

bottom line...she loves the car, i fix the car. :-)

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

318ti is (1) of (4) BMW's to buy under $ 4K >  just featured in the latest BIMMER magazine.   I've seen these around but they are getting harder to find (unmodified).   I didn't know there was a "California roof"  option.

Jim Gerock

318ti is an e36 in front and an e30 in the back suspension wise (as is the z3). litterally...they were parts bin engineered.

318ti's are neat little cars, but suffer from the early e36 cheap interior parts syndrome. headliner, doorpanels and dash fall apart. e36 "lux" models (the ones with wood trim and leather) did not suffer from this syndrome, but the 318ti did not have this option available.

yes, 318ti had an available full cloth sunroof "california" model. the desireable 318ti model was the 95 only club sport. only available in black and red, had all the M3 body kit parts (front fascia and mirrors) and a few other upgrades.

2xM3

I have a '97 318ti that I bought for my son.  It was an original-owner, enthusiast-owned car with less than 100k miles on it which probably made all the difference in it being a reliable car.  While the original owner had it, one of the plastic pulleys exploded and went through the radiator; fortunately, he shut the car off before any engine damage occurred.  As soon as I bought it, I replaced every other component in the cooling system.  In the two years we've had it, the only thing that has failed was a window regulator, but the headliner is sagging and the interior does certainly feel cheap.

Before we bought that car, I looked at three or four E46's that were "inexpensive."  On each one of them, I removed the oil-filler cap and they all had sludge under there.  The ~15k oil change intervals that BMW pays for is not adequate to keep these cars on the road long-term.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

Before we bought that car, I looked at three or four E46's that were "inexpensive."  On each one of them, I removed the oil-filler cap and they all had sludge under there.  The ~15k oil change intervals that BMW pays for is not adequate to keep these cars on the road long-term.

If you really want to cringe, take a look a this old blogpost

http://sandiegobmw.wordpress.com/2008/05/31/car-abuse-killing-your-bmw/

Jim Gerock

I bought an E46 in November.  I have had decent luck so far, but I have not driven very many miles.  The previous owner did his own maintenance and he'd owned 2002's, E28's and E30's over the years which I find reassuring.  It is tempting to buy one when the price is but a small fraction of the original sticker price.  Time will tell whether this was a wise purchase or not.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

If you really want to cringe, take a look a this old blogpost   http://sandiegobmw.w...lling-your-bmw/

Ack!   Based on oil caps I wouldn't be surprised if the cars I looked at were well on the way to looking like that.  And with the newer engines all that is ruining the VANOS unit at the same time.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

• 2 weeks later...

I got rid of my E46 330 last year.  I loved the car, but like Marshall said, it was getting too expensive to maintain.  I did the common stuff myself (valve cover gasket - which is way more complicated than you would think), coils, plugs, oil changes.  

BMW claims they have the only filter that would make the 15000 mile oil change.  I didn't believe it, and changed my oil every 7500 miles.  Royal purple 5/40.

Only went through 1 set of control arm bushings.  Also went through the air intake hose behind the MAF, which was expensive.  It basically just rotted until it broke.  And, the driver's side window regulator had issues until replacement.  Final issue, had some MAF sensor issues that I was never able to completely resolve.  And all of this happened at about 80,000 miles (I bought it with 23,000 miles on it in 2006).

What never happened but was looming:  the upper radiator neck and overflow tank is plastic.  They get brittle and break.  The water pump has plastic impellers.  They get brittle and fail.  Both are really bad failures (ie - warped head potential).  

My E46 was a fun car, and I loved to drive it.  But, it wasn't bulletproof.  And, I don't want to think about the E90/E92 etc....which just got more complicated.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.