• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'02 Automatic Trunk Opener Version 2 Feeler

calw

Automatic Trunk Opener Options  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Any Problems installing Version 1 ?

• No problems when I installed mine
    • Yes, I had a problem (please describe in an email or on the forum)
    • I purchased version 1 but have never installed mine
    • I did not purchase version 1
  2. 2. What color would you like to see in Version 2 ?

• Gray (as in Version 1)
    • White
    • Black
    • Unfinished for painting by me to match my car
  3. 3. Would you prefer Powder coating ?

• No
    • Yes, for up to $5.00 additional cost over painted

I am considering a new production run of my '02 Automatic Trunk Opener.  This posting is to get your inputs to improve Version 2.   I originally sold Version 1 through a classified advertisement on the old version of the FAQ, but can't find that advertisement now.  I don't mean for this posting to be an advertisement, but a description is available at my Ebay listing for the few that are still left from the first production run

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301043910778?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

A partial description from that listing:

Your 2002 or 1600-2 came from the factory with two different keys - one for the trunk lid and one for everything else. So, many of us just leave the trunk unlocked. Not the best idea if you plan on carrying valuables in the trunk! This kit allows you to remotely open your 2002's trunk lid Electrically and Remotely.

It makes no permanent modifications to your car and can be de-installed in a matter of minutes with simple hand tools. Installation will take a little longer because part of the process is to clean you old gunked-up trunk latch and you will need to wire it to a 12 Volt power source through a switch.

It also includes a glow in the dark emergency escape handle as seen on much newer cars.  Beginning with the 2002 model year, all cars sold in the US were required to have this feature, so why not have one in your 2002?

You provide the electrical hookup to a source of power to make it go "pop", but the kit includes everything else. This power can come from a button on the dashboard, or as some buyers have done, a connection to your aftermarket remote alarm system. In either case, you will need to run a wire from your choice of power to the wiring provided with the kit.

You can also see Mike Woolridge's install of the original offering here: and a review of Version 1 here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/141849-review-of-cal-warneckes-rear-trunk-actuator-kit-100-legit/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301043910778?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

If built, Version 2 will have some nice incremental design improvements, to be revealed after they are successfully tested in samples.  Pricing will be similar to the last run, but slightly higher, as since the original batch everything has gone up a bit.

I have asked a few questions as a poll to the general audience of previous and potential new buyers.  Any feedback by additions to this post or PM's would also be very much appreciated

Any interest in future purchases would also be appreciated, but as with version 1, it's not available for pre-order, reservation, etc. at this point.  No opener will be sold before it's built and available for immediate shipment. 

post-33565-0-80192900-1393987351_thumb.j

I've recently been contemplating purchasing one of these (you know, after I get the car back on the road...).

My thoughts are that any of the neutral colors are fine, I probably slightly prefer white because I have a chamonix car (also prefer gray over black for the same reason). I do not see the need for powder coating, but perhaps people with the original version have noticed problems with paint chipping when loading the trunk? $5 isn't too much if it makes it appear nice longer. Keep me updated on your progress with version 2.  Are you thinking it will be within $10 or so of the old ones? 

Thanks, Newbie.  I've had no comments or complaints about the paint, just exploring the possibilities.  I know that on some other forums which will remain nameless here accessories need to be "carbon fiber CNC billet with powder coated Laser etching" to make the grade (I might have missed one of the latest technologies there, sorry).  But seriously, powder coating has a durability advantage in general.  Since this device is not invisible and won't be invisible if painted in a particular car's color, it probably doesn't matter much to most people- it's not aimed at the originality crowd and won't be seen at Pebble Beach.  I haven't actually gotten the costs yet so not sure about the price.  I want to keep it close to the old version's price, so there might need to be tradeoffs... 

Sorry, that should have read "Thanks pklym".   After a few phone calls, it looks like powder coating costs about $3 range around here for this size part, so I am tentatively planning on powder coating most of the lot, leaving a small quantity unfinished at first.  Buyers can paint to their preference, although the pole doesn't show that as being wanted so far.  Because powder coating is more durable, it's also harder to remove if necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

color does not matter to me... the original grey looks nice... I am a fan of powdercoating look and durability.

was just trying to find on BluntTech... no go so I searched to find this post... please let us know when you have more... I'm interested in getting.

thanks

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)