• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Window Adjustment

'76mintgrün'02

I opened up the passenger door (again) to see if I could get the window to go up another quarter of an inch.  I was hoping it was hitting the stops, but it's not that simple.  Last time I was in there I opened up the holes in the door metal to allow rotation of the cranking mechanism, but that did not get it.  

With the window cranked all the way up, I can then push it up another quarter of an inch in the track.  Does this imply that the parts are simply WORN OUT?  

Maybe I should just throw in the towel and buy new guts. :(

I did swap out the wing window mechanism with the one I got from roadhog and that eliminated the wiggle. :) I also installed new rubber grommets, so no more rattles.  I'm making some progress, but not quite as much as I had hoped.  I have searched and read a TON on this topic and just thought I would throw it out there    one    more    time ...  

I suspect that your regulator mechanism is well-worn and the slop in the system is causing the window not to go all the way up.  The main wear point is the pot metal retainer pin that's at the center of the concentric spring that helps the window go up and down when you crank.  If that pot metal piece is worn (and they usually are) it will allow slop. 

If you find that's the problem, drop me an e-mail with your e-mail address and I'll send you a BMW CCA Roundel column I did on how to replace that pin with one you make from steel. 

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite