• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Redline Mtl Add

Cyclone101

I had some difficulty shifting from 3rd to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st on my 71 2002, so I thought it good to try and 'fix' it with a better lubricant first, before I go rebuilding it.

Research showed that Redline MTL has had some promising results, but finding it in South Africa is difficult, and expensive! One place charged me $50 per quart...

I did find it at a more reasonable price after a bit of searching, and changed the fluid today, and boy I am satisfied!

I can now shift smoothly up and down without any difficulty, no more waiting 5 mins(exaggeration, if you missed it...) for gears to match up.

I'm definitely sold!

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

I suppose i would pay 50 bucks for a smooth tranny, but man, that's steep! Even here in the states(and i live 1.5 hours from where its produced!!) it's gone up in price by 50% in the last couple of years. Glad to hear it worked for you.

bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Jacques, 

what gear oil were you using before ??  The reason I ask:  for many many many years I was using the wrong gear oil in the transmission.  I had been using the same stuff in both transmission and final drive.  The final drive requires a Hypoid gear oil, the transmission does not.  Once I installed a non-hypoid into the transmission (I used Redline MTL), shifting went from OK to super-smooth !!

Also, I learned that the transmission requires a GL-4 rated gear oil because of the brass synchros. I learned that most final drive gear oils are rated GL-5, which has sulfur.  Sulfur is harmful to brass, and GL-4 does not contain sulfur.

Here's the long story .....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135183-manual-transmission-gear-oil-use-the-right-stuff/

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

I can't seem to find the old container, but it was definitely a non-hypoid oil, just can't remember the weight. <br /><br />I changed the fluid about 3years ago.

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

I know I have the same gear oil in both my rear end and tranny.... I need to change it out >.< I have MTL for my new 5 speed :)

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2