• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Only Megasquirt Map Sensor Solex Carb

scanner

I'm in the process of adding Megasquirt and the first stage is to add EDIS ignition http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/134019-73-fjord-with-megasquirt/page-2. I am unsure if i am able to use the vacuum take off from the Solex PDSI Carburettor to supply vacuum to the MAP sensor. There is only one take off on the solex and it is located just above the throttle butterfly. Or is there a more suitable point to get the vacuum from?

This wont be the final fuel solution, i will either go to 318i Manifold or maybe ITBs but will run it for a few months in this configuration so it needs to be a useable but not necessarily perfect solution.

As ever with Megasquirt it is configurable to your needs as long as you allow for it in the advance table but you may find the throttle plate vac signature isn't progressive enough to take advantage of Megajolts resolution. I suspect this is why most folks use plenum vacuum, ITB's are another story.

If your car is still running then tee in the map sensor, connect rpm signal and take some data logs, you'll be able to see how on/off the map signal is.

Rgrds

Solche Fehler sind schon oft von Frisierpraktikern gemacht worden, die keine Ahnung von einer Ventilerhebungskurve hatten. -Ludwig Apfelbeck

Connect your MAP vacuum line to a port on the manifold, not the throttled vacuum port on the carb. That's for a vacuum advance connection to a stock distributor.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

No, it is not. That is a throttled vacuum port, as mentioned in the post above. You have to tap holes in the manifold, and use a reservoir for the best result. As mentioned, take a look at my thread. This is the way to do it. Anything else might work to some degree, but you could just as well stick to the stock ignition then.

That goes straight into the manifold; right? In that case it's a good place to connect the MAP sensor.  No reservoir is needed since you're not trying to smooth-out any pulses as with ITB's.  I too used Megasquirt for a while, to run just the ignition.  It's a good way to get started and make sure the crank position sensing and triggering works.

Edited by allbim

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

That port is not throttled and is suitable for your MAP sensor

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318