• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A New 2002 Book?

Henryn02

Mlytle... I remember Scott Chamberlain's original article.  I copied it and modified it, mostly by making it more specific in accordance with m own experience.  Still have it on a hard drive somewhere.

Couttsdesign hit the nail on the head, though.  I joined the CCA around '84 or so because of the lack of readily available information.  I was coming from air-cooled VWs and the BMW was a whole 'nother world.  Thirty years, 15 2002s, and over a dozen other bimmers and two beemers, I've learned more or less how Hans und Frits put things together.  Thirty years later, too, there's this wonderful new tool called the Internet, on which we all sustain our fix for our favorite model, and keep in touch with like-minded others.  THIS (or another similar forum) is the go-to place now.  Consider that these cars have been around for decades.  There's little that hasn't been done, and there are the old-timers who stay online to pass on the knowledge.  THIS is where to come. 

Coffee table books were once the rage and I think that their time has passed also.  I have a number of books about BMWs, mostly acquired as birthday gifts or similar.  Not one of which I paid a penny for... I've never needed to.  Between the internet and a few nearby individuals, what is there not to know or have at easy reach?

In short, NO I would not buy such a book.  OP, you'll find support on this forum for the idea, but it's hardly original, nor is it likely to be as useful as it once might have been.  Unless you can get less-than-dirt-cheap printing and distribution, I doubt there will be wide enough interest to justify the effort.  As a labor of love, though, knock yourself out. Many of us put far more into our cars than we'll ever recover.

• 2 months later...

WIRING AND ELECTRICAL. This is my personal biggest weakness. Id love a layman's primer on 02 wiring - stuff like best practices, safety, best way to add things like alarms and stereos, etc.

How about a "Looks" section? how to achieve the cleanest engine bay, what are the styles for the front grills ( i still dont know the difference between all chrome, the two slat look, and others ive seen), bringing an old paint job back to life, etc.

also totally into the dvd idea. I love watching how to videos for auto repairs, even if i have no actual need for the info.

Im in though for a new book. the more the merrier.

I would definitely pay for a book/resource like this. If I were writing a book for myself, I would want something like "BMW 2002 projects for the weekend warrior". It would go from "you just bought your first 2002, now what?" and walk you through the steps of inspecting/restoring each important piece with full color photos and assuming the reader knows nothing (i.e. Arrows and diagrams to show you how to change your oil, showing you where to properly jack up your car, etc). Save on printing costs and make it an ebook if you have to. I feel there is a lot lacking from all the 2002 specific manuals that I own. Considering there are still so many 2002s on the road, I think there's still a market for something like this.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

One important thing that may not have been mentioned by previous posters (I read about 10 replies to this thread...then my eyes got tired):

Several years ago, there was a CD ROM called "The 2002 Bible" for sale on ebay, etc...and it had information, tips, photos, and details harvested directly from this very site, without ANY recognition, credit, or **PAYMENT** to the original authors, professionals (myself included!) and owners. That upset MANY of us, who offer our hard-earned knowledge for free, to others. I think the book is an exceptional idea, and truthfully, I'd like to be a part of it... but I'd like to see how (and if)  the content here, on the FAQ is to be used, before grabbing my pom poms. :-D

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com