• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Tip For Removing The Clutch Slave

mdh

Just hoping to help someone out as this forum has helped me so many times.

My 40 yr old clutch slave did not want to leave her home today and after countless hours of soaking in penetrant, heat and whatever purchase I could get with my bfh while the trans was still in the car was fruitless.

What did work was getting creative with a three jaw puller ( a two jaw would have been easier but it was all I had). After playing around with arm length all it took was a few turns and crack, she broke lose.post-43183-0-26632600-1383009233_thumb.j

Edited by mdh

Before installing your new slave cylinder, liberally coat it with an anti-seize compound; then 40 years from now (but probably sooner) when you or the next owner goes to remove it, it'll come right out with no trauma!

cheers

mike

PS:  Now that you have a nice, tight new slave cylinder, your old decrepit clutch M/C is gonna start leaking.  Check your pedal bucket for brake fluid after a few weeks...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

PS:  Now that you have a nice, tight new slave cylinder, your old decrepit clutch M/C is gonna start leaking.  Check your pedal bucket for brake fluid after a few weeks...

+1 on this, start with your weekly ritual of sticking a pencil in your pedal bucket to see if it comes out wet.

Edited by FunkyLaneO

74 Golf

Not for me (knock on wood), new hydraulics and hard lines all around. Hopefully no leaks as long as my flares are good...

And good call in the anti-seize Mike! I forgot to mention that I slathered the new slave in silver paste... 

Edited by mdh