• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Different Rocker Panel Option?

mikebontoft

Hey there! I'll get right into it because it's late and I want to sleep.Since I figured out the worst part of my rust is right there at that union between the rear quarter and outer rocker panels, I've been looking for the best way to fix it. (details not necessary at this time... I think you all know exactly what I'm talking about ;))

It seems like the actual quarter panel patch is somewhat hard to find, and I can't tell if the "normal" rocker panel replacements go that far back or if it stops at the B pillar. Then I came across this site, which I've browsed in the past for euro goodies on one of my other cars. Awesome pricing and reasonable shipping too. Not well advertised.

http://www.nicedeals.co.uk/index.php?cPath=1_119_2259

Notice the rocker panel they list. It doesn't look like the others I've seen. It looks to me like they made it to fit up as part of the quarter panel, eliminating the need for the patch panel... but I'm not sure. Is anyone able to figure that out from a poorly drawn photo? They don't use generic photos for their parts. 1600's are identical aren't they?

On a side note though, I'm going to order a fender from them anyway. If no one finds anything wrong with it, I'll order one to test fitment.

hey mate thats a cover panel. Its to cover up rust and damage of the original outer rocker and they are very flimsy, i used them only to replace the rear quarterpanel over new bmw rocker panels that are quite expensive and are also very thick and strong.

I started like you to fix rear end rocker panel rust but once i started digging i had to replace both rear subframe areas and also some of both inner rockers and my rust was at the lower level of bmw rust! if you look for my project blog i have it all pretty detailed how i used the repair panels and the proper rockers together to fix the problem

id also say Jaymic charges about the same for the over repair panels (35 quidish)

the full sills are around £80 last time i checked and the do go the full length of the car but from the b pillar back they are recessed in so that the wing panel can sandwich over the top.

here it is 

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/129100-my-1976-1502/

regards

Dave

Edited by DaveBMX

i bought one of those 'slip-over' rocker panels on ebay once and was immediately disappointed at how flimsy they are, as noted above.  i still have it laying around somewhere.  i won't even use it for patch panels.  better to leave the rust alone rather than hiding it with a bandage.  spend the time necessary to do it right, or don't waste your time and money doing it half-baked.  the cover is NOT an improvement.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Wow ok. That makes sense though, and I like the way you did it Dave. Thanks!

Jerry, exactly how flimsy are we talking? Unfortunately my rust stops... well here I'll just post a picture.

9699717940_e1ca2c6e87_b.jpg
Untitled by mikebontoft, on Flickr

edit: fortunately since the outer is almost completely rotted away, I can see the inner after knocking off all the rust. Inner is clean.

Edited by mikebontoft

looking at your photo, it's time for a new rocker.  it's rusted beyond a simple patch here and there.  you might also want to take a wire wheel to your wheel arches.  i have a sneaking suspicion that that is bondo poking out from that small paint scratch i'm seeing.  with rockers as rusted as yours are, it would be no surprise to see rust along the entire lip of your rear archways.

as for the rocker overlay panel, it's not worth your time.  the gauge is thinner and it looks obvious to anyone familiar with these cars because it eliminates the seam between the rear quarter and the rocker.  i have repaired the bottom portion of the rear quarterpanel section by patching with  a piece of the rocker panel i removed.  unfortunately, yours looks like there's no useable material to save.  i posted up my method of repair a couple weeks ago on this forum.  it shouldn't be too difficult to find if you're so inclined.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

no probs Mike. I have used the jaymic repair panels to repair my rear quarter over the top of the proper bmw outer sills and for an amateur the slightly thinner guage made working with it a lot easier than the rocker. It is not in a structural area and i also added a lot of reinforcement underside. I would just make sure that you definately replace that whole outer rocker with a proper bmw rocker panel as most of the strength of the car relies on it. I would also say that you have a big job ahead of you as once that outer is off you will have to patch up the inner aswell as i cant imagine rust like that not going all the way through.

To put it in perspective i sent photos to jaymic who do repairs like this and restore 02's. they quoted £2000 for outer panels replacing and only 300 was materials. However doing it yourself is the best way to ensure that its all gone and that the car will last another 40 years!

regards

Dave

No doubt I'm going to buy the replacement panel after finding out this other one is just a cover. Seems like it would be OK to use that cover panel and cut it down to size to use as a section of the rear quarter to go over the rocker, like Dave did? That would be my best option. Maybe not OPTIMAL, but this thing is a pile that I just want to look decent. Not going for a restoration. Just clean panels.

Also not sure if some of these places ship to the US. (yeah.)

Does the outer need reinforcement beams to keep the body from moving while being replaced?

edit: yeah, Jerry... bondo is everywhere. Just some minor setbacks unfortunately.

Edited by mikebontoft

Hey Mike i did reinforce just incase it turned out worse than i thought and if i needed to replace the inner rocker also. however i didnt need to do that BUT i did need to replace the rear subframe mounts so im glad they were there to stop the car twisting.

I have seen photos of people who have just done it on a nice solid flat surface with the car on the wheels though?

heres how mines looking one one side just need to tidy up the join at the bottom

regards

Dave

post-41755-0-62655900-1378798701_thumb.j

Edited by DaveBMX

• 3 weeks later...

How does it look where your outer rocker meets the A-post cover/panel? If you are already going to do an outer rocker you might want to do the A-post as well since you are in there.. 

I would also check where your rear wheel well panel meets your rear quarter panel- specifically from inside the wheel well area- take off your tire and knock off some of the crud. Also investigate your rear subframe mounts. 

I would do all this in order to have a good handle on how much rust you are dealing with- it always looks worse once you open it up....

74 tii
"I know just enough to be dangerous"