• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changed Front Springs - Modified Technique

Andy74tii

I finally got around to putting my new bavauto springs on the front, so at least people will stop asking if i have a dead body in the trunk (I had the rear ones on) ;)

I will confess I have a fear of the three special strut bolts, based on the fact that I broke one off last time I had the struts out, and it took me weeks to figure out out to get the broken parts out. So I was willing to do practically anything to avoid touching those three bolts, and thus had to figure out how to get the springs out and new ones on with the strut in place.

I will say this -- I have seen a few posts where folks have indicated they just compressed springs, undid the 3 top bolts, undid the swaybar links, and voila, the strut was able to swing out under the fender. For me, this did not even come close -- I still needed a good 3 inches clearance, and I even undid the tie rod ends. I did not go so far as to remove the angled bars (not sure what those are called); maybe that is the trick?

In any event, I did find a way to get the springs off through a unique technique I will call the "corkscrew." Essentially, I pulled off the strut bearings, and all the spacers and washers as well as the top of the strut housing, all underneath the fender. Then, I basically "unscrewed" the spring up through the opening in the top of the fender where the strut bearing had been. I then "screwed" the new spring down through that same opening. I then mounted the strut bearing to the fender, and pushed the strut down as far as I could and guided the top of the strut up through the bushing in the bearing.

I don't really recommend this approach, but if you really do not want to take out the struts, like me, and you cannot find any way of swinging the strut out under the fender (also like me), this might work for you.....

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

Ya Ya U stratin to tink liik a German, let me know what u figure out on heater core removal, very interested in an easy way................

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

I finally got around to putting my new bavauto springs on the front, so at least people will stop asking if i have a dead body in the trunk (I had the rear ones on) ;)

I will confess I have a fear of the three special strut bolts, based on the fact that I broke one off last time I had the struts out, and it took me weeks to figure out out to get the broken parts out. So I was willing to do practically anything to avoid touching those three bolts, and thus had to figure out how to get the springs out and new ones on with the strut in place.

I will say this -- I have seen a few posts where folks have indicated they just compressed springs, undid the 3 top bolts, undid the swaybar links, and voila, the strut was able to swing out under the fender. For me, this did not even come close -- I still needed a good 3 inches clearance, and I even undid the tie rod ends. I did not go so far as to remove the angled bars (not sure what those are called); maybe that is the trick?

In any event, I did find a way to get the springs off through a unique technique I will call the "corkscrew." Essentially, I pulled off the strut bearings, and all the spacers and washers as well as the top of the strut housing, all underneath the fender. Then, I basically "unscrewed" the spring up through the opening in the top of the fender where the strut bearing had been. I then "screwed" the new spring down through that same opening. I then mounted the strut bearing to the fender, and pushed the strut down as far as I could and guided the top of the strut up through the bushing in the bearing.

I don't really recommend this approach, but if you really do not want to take out the struts, like me, and you cannot find any way of swinging the strut out under the fender (also like me), this might work for you.....

Andy74tii

Andy,

was the spring still compressed when you corkscrewed it back thru the hole?