• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Bmw Drivers Jerks?

LB72

The worst damn drivers in the Seattle area are the morons in the BMW SUV's. Almost wrecked my truck into one a few times...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Anybody remember the days when BMWs were so few that if you encountered one going the other way on a two lane road you would both flash the brights a couple of times as a friendly greeting? Sort of like an automotive "secret handshake" for those in the club. Haven't seen it in years. Still see bikers do a low five to each other when they pass sometimes.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

Chamoix,

those days are still around for BMW drivers, but alas, it is only the 2002 drivers who still seem to know, understand, and practice the secret handshake.  I actually had a 2002 blast past me on the freeway last year with no acknowledgement, but perhaps he never even saw me.  Out here in the antpile one does not expect to see a 2002.

Cheers,

Carl

Anybody remember the days when BMWs were so few that if you encountered one going the other way on a two lane road you would both flash the brights a couple of times as a friendly greeting? Sort of like an automotive "secret handshake" for those in the club. Haven't seen it in years. Still see bikers do a low five to each other when they pass sometimes.

yup!  those were the days!  continued up through the E12 and E21 period, then gradually dissappeared in the E30 era when they became entry level yuppie mobiles.

2xM3

Lately I've been seeing a lot of people in new 6 and 7 series... Thing is, they are usually parked in lower income neighborhoods and seem to be the trendy gangsta thing to do. 

Honestly, I couldn't care less. Every 02 owner I know is a nice guy. Every classic car enthusiast (NOT COLLECTOR) I know is a nice guy. For the most part, everyone I know who drives a new car is more of a prick then the average old car driver. 

Then again, having spent countless hours in my bosses X3 and his Mercedes ML550, something about those german suvs (especially the 550) makes you into a big asshole. Perhaps its the quality of the vehicle that makes the driver feel superior, since the vehicle is superior. Either way, I look the other way and putter along in my 02 and answer the same old question... 76. 76. 76. 

Though... I am guilty of overtaking nearly everyone on the larger highways. My 02 feels fantastic at an indicated 90. How people are sticking to 80mph with cars 40 years newer than my own is something I will never understand.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...