• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum Strut Spacers In Rear?

Andy74tii
Go to solution Solved by Andy74tii,

I recently put some new springs on and I'm a little lower than I would like in back. I have one dot rubber spacers in the back, and will probably get some 3 dots. Before I do that, though, I wonder if anyone has ever tried to use the aluminum spacers from the front struts (usually discarded) in the rear, above the rubber spacers? Seems like that could work, and would give another option. Has anyone tried this with success? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

I'll be darned-

never thought of that!

We have some rubber donuts from JCW in Jenn's car, for the same effect...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've got a post from way back that describes a threaded aluminum strut spacer to adjust ride height. They work great, it gives you a bit more adjustment. I'll take a look around and see if I can find a link.

Daniel Shor

Bethesda, MD

'74 2002 "Charlotte"

Half as old as my first car and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So, here are a couple of pics I took tonight with the Bavauto red springs in the back only (fronts are still stock) with Bilstein Sports.  This is with the aluminum spacers in the back.  I really like the ride a lot with the bavauto/sport combination.  The softness I've heard with the bavautos seems to be moderated somewhat by the stiffer sports shocks....

Anyway, what do you think of the stance in back?  To me, it's about right, maybe just a tad low, but it feels great driving... I'll change out the fronts shortly....

Thanks,

Andy74tii

PS, I would really like to see the info about the adjustable spacers in back!

post-9228-0-55286600-1375757104_thumb.jp

post-9228-0-93230200-1375757118_thumb.jp

FAQ Member #126

the rear adjuster is a stock car racing part.  available from pitstopusa.com. a bunch of us use it.  requires 5in dia springs.  stock car stuff.  adjuster barrel slips over upper 02 rear perch.  do a search on pitstopusa and i am sure you will find threads on it.  there a bunches of pics somewhere in my build thread of the things in use.

2xM3