• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Tumbler

70deluxe

Rookie question here.  I bought a '70 02 and the driver side door handle is missing the key tumbler. 

Can I just buy a randown driver side door handle with tumbler and then have it re-keyed to match the others? Or would I need to buy a pair...?

these can be rekeyed as necessary.  you'll need an old-school locksmith to do it.  i've used Longs Locks in berkely calif.  if your doors match the ignition, this is the way to go.  if doors do not match ignition, you might find a keyed pair for about the same price.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

If you're adventurous and can find a "random" lock cylinder, you can re-key it yourself.  Simply take the cylinder and insert your key into it.  You'll notice some thin brass pieces (wafers) that protrude above the lock cylinder itself.  Take a fine tooth file and carefully file down those protruding wafers down (with your key still inserted) until they're flush with the cylinder.  Then insert in the door handle and see if it will turn with the key inserted.  If it does, you're done.  If not, keep filing until it does. 

Be aware that if the lock cylinder is missing on your car's door handle, chances are good that all the little pieces that are fastened to the other end of the cylinder are either missing or have fallen down inside the door.  You might need to get a complete pax side door handle to get all the little bits (flange, screw, spring) to make it work.  And either take pictures or make a sketch of how those pieces are attached to each other before dismantling.  There are lots of ways to put 'em back together wrong, but only one right way.  And the driver's door is a mirror image, so looking at it won't help.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite