• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found Lug Nuts For Ronal Kleeblatt Wheels

jgerock

Found a set locally. Thanks.

I have a set of 13 x 5.5" Ronals that seem to take a different style of lug nuts (not the tapered or acorn ones but most likely shank (or "mag") type).

Wheels will mount on standard 4-bolt 2002 hubs. Would appreciate any leads to a new set if possible.

Location is Alexandria,VA

DSC_4853.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

you need the mag type lug nuts with a washer...they are available at autozone in 4 packs in the correct thread and pitch for the 0298-0003-2.jpg

I'm perhaps in the same boat with Jim. And he has mentioned these "washer-style" lug nuts as a solution. My one concern with this solution, however, is that the lug nut holes are tight to the raised center hub: there might not be a sufficiently wide shoulder for the washers to rest on flatly. Given the reasonable price of these nuts, of course, it's certainly worth a try. My other concern is that my Ronal's -- and they may, indeed, be different from Jim's in this regards -- have a shallow, steeply-sloped steel insert at each hole, which suggests the original Ronal nuts may have been conical and then cylindrical (the above solution is strictly cylindrical).

So I'm thinking along the following lines:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121088575877?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It is possible, of course, that someone, using the wrong lug nuts, may have "created" the steeply-sloping walls of my inserts. Jim, are the interiors of your inserts strictly cylindrical?

Anyone out there with Ronal rims and the original lug nuts?

Below is a close-up photo of one of my rims. The inset steel inserts are probably 1/4" deep; they do not run through the rim.

Steve

post-41123-0-89326800-1371260597_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks to Esty and Steve for the quick responses.   I just edited my WTB but it does not appear to show the new content:

M12 x 1.5 thread (stock for 2002).

The wheel lug openings measure 18mm I.D. x 19.5mm thick (wheel hub thickness) with a 25mm diameter step in the front face.

Because my wheels were powdercoated by a PO, I cannot tell if there is a steel sleeve for the bores.

Jim Gerock

Is it possible the tapered portion is there to help get the lugs into position when putting things together. This would give a lead in that would facilitate getting the lugs and rim aligned. You really would not want to over constrain with a taper and a diameter.

Edited by GoFaSSter

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

Is it possible the tapered portion is there to help get the lugs into position when putting things together. This would give a lead in that would facilitate getting the lugs and rim aligned. You really would not want to over constrain with a taper and a diameter.

Yes, that's entirely reasonable. And I could well be over-analyzing the situation, but it still leaves me pondering the reason behind these steel (lug nut hole) inserts in the first place. Steel inserts on an alloy rim suggest to me a location of concentrated pressure or stress and only a conical taper (at that point) would seem to apply such pressure to the insert itself. (Bear in mind I am neither an engineer nor a physics professor: I'm mostly imagining how I'd feel if I were a steel insert on an alloy rim!)

Thanks for your help on this.

Regards,

Steve

Because my wheels were powdercoated by a PO, I cannot tell if there is a steel sleeve for the bores.

Jim,

My rims, as you can see, are relatively un-encumbered by cosmetic niceties, such as paint or powdercoating! Thus, I can view the steel inserts distinctly on the rim's face. And if I stick my pinkie in a lug hole, I can feel the inner lip of the steel insert, which is only a 1/4" deep: the insert is more akin to a valve seat than a traditional sleeve, which I picture running the full depth of the lug hole. 25mm appears to be the outside diameter of my rims' inserts, and they are slightly inset.

I'm aching to see a third set of Ronal R2s, i.e., a set beyond our sets, up close and dismounted, to see if my steel inserts are an anomaly. Could they represent a repair? As I like to say, a lot can happen over 40 years!

Clueless in Atlanta,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a 4-pack of Dorman brand mag wheel bolts # 711 308 at the local Auto Zone for $ 11.78.  They seem to fit. I may look for a shorter shank length.

Internal thread depth: 41.5mm

Shank length: 18mm

Shank diameter: 17mm

Washer O.D.: 26.73 mm

Washer I.D. 17.8mm

Will look for a better brand later

IMG_0930_zps7fd1498e.jpg

IMG_0929_zpsfc55b986.jpg

IMG_0935_zps43adcb2c.jpg

Jim Gerock