• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Failed Me For The First Time In 8 Years

I was driving up a long, steep hill on my way to a gig when I saw the temp gauge spike. I quickly pilled over but the steam blew out the overflow already.

My radiator has been pressure checked and I have a new thermostat but I saw water leaking at the water pump, so I phoned a friend to bring me water so I could get home.

So now I need a new water pump and while I am at it I am buying a new drag link to fix the play on my steering.

I still love my car though.

Edited by Cyclone101

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

It could be worse... Be happy it wasn't your pilot bearing ;). Water pump should be a piece of cake!

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Yup, I can't complain really. I have driven this car many many miles without fault, and I knew the water pump was leaking a little, so I guess I could see this coming. I saw my alternator is forcing the belt off center so I am getting new alternator bushings while I am at it.

my first thought:  it doesn't have to be water pump failure.  Could be as simple as belt breakage or slippage ..... or the thermostat decided to fail ...... or something else.

but such things happen to all mechanical systems ..... eventually.

it took 23 years for the original alternator to fail me.  I was 200 miles from the house and the red ALT light started flickering.  Fortunately it was early morning (wouldn't need the headlights) so I headed for home.  8 miles from the house the battery was drained enough to no longer power the electricals.  Traveled the last 8 miles on a tow truck.  Next day, new alternator installed and it's still going strong, 15-1/2 years later.

then there was the original electric fuel pump .... only got 35 years out of it.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

my first thought:  it doesn't have to be water pump failure.  Could be as simple as belt breakage or slippage ..... or the thermostat decided to fail ...... or something else.

it took 23 years for the original alternator to fail me.  I was 200 miles from the house and the red ALT light started flickering.  Fortunately it was early morning (wouldn't need the headlights) so I headed for home.  8 miles from the house the battery was drained enough to no longer power the electricals.  Traveled the last 8 miles on a tow truck.  Next day, new alternator installed and it's still going strong, 15-1/2 years later.

then there was the original electric fuel pump .... only got 35 years out of it.

Cheers,

Carl

Guess you better prepare to buy another alternator within the next 5 years or so.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

looks to  me like you need to rephrase the topic to

I failed my 2002

Yeah, I guess it would be the morally correct thing to do, but luckily my car doesn't read the posts I make. Something about being too old for that sh*t...

Cheers,

Carl

It could very well be belt slippage. With the alternator mounts being worn out the belt is not tensioned right, but the pump is leaking fluid so I need to replace it any way. The thermostat was working as the return pipe was very hot, and its only a few months old. Also, all my thermostats failed in the open position, maybe I'm just lucky.

And only 35 years of service from a fuel pump! What is this world coming to!

When I bought the car, I replaced the headlights and found that one of the bulbs was date stamped '73 and still working fine in 2005! Now that is an energy saver!  :D

Regards

Jacques