• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odometer Repair

guypaul

10 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

My speedo needle started to rotate erratically and eventually stopped rotating altogether.

I opened the speedo mechanism and found a sleeve fitting that was probably pressed in.  It had come loose and was spinning with the cable.  I used a dab of crazy glue and reset the sleeve.  At least 10K miles ago.  So far (ha) so good.

Thanks Paul.  I'm sure it needs to be cleaned as well, just like everything else.

Total tangent; I love driving my car.  :)

Edited by irdave

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

• 5 months later...

My speedo slowly got worse and worse with regard to speed indication. Usually showing around 20% over. Two days ago it finally let go and went around to 140mph (I wish!). The odometer appeared to work fine. Finally found the following "fix". https://www.02restoration.com/restorati ... 1972-1976/

Joy of joys, it worked! There is a bit missed out in that you have to remove six 6mm headed bolts holding in the rev counter and speedo to remove the speedo before you get to the two flat headed screws.

Unfortunately, I now have another problem. The odometer and trip have stopped working. I'm about to take the thing out again to see if I can spot what has moved. Not sure about the 1/10 cog coming loose and needing some intricate surgery. I'm hoping it's something a little simpler as it all worked fine before. We shall see!

Cheers

TY

• Thanks 1

My odometer was not working when I got my car.  It turned out that the white gear on the end had slipped on the shaft and the shaft was then able to move and the little worm gear no longer meshed up with its mate.

024.thumb.JPG.19abc835f901f172420f77ab4004ae99.JPG027.thumb.JPG.668832bac4ff4249a5670ce7d356c3de.JPG

I pulled the shaft out of the number wheel, using a Q-tip to hold them in position, while I put a fresh ding in the shaft to grip the gear.  Looking back at my photos I see that it was exactly six years ago today that I did this, on 7/9/12.  Funny.

I chose SilGlyde as the lubricant for the gears, once I cleaned the old dry stuff off.  It has worked fine ever since.

007.thumb.JPG.748a4084edb16996ea82fe737abfa4a6.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

@Paul T Winterton

Do you have any more pictures of your speedometer disassembled. I am curious what the mechanism looks like with the faceplate removed. Your picture of the gearing is awesome and I was curious, do you had more?

I was checking the assembly on my 1972 2002, which the previous owner stated it stopped working an estimated 20k miles ago, and it appears there is a gear missing to transmit the information from the odometer to the trip.

Will you help me?

Thank you.

Lucas

On 5/31/2020 at 8:49 PM, Bavarian Sasquatch said:

Do you have any more pictures of your speedometer disassembled.

I just looked and, no, I don't have any pics with the faceplate removed.  I don't have the nerve or any tools to remove the needle.  Probably wreck something.  Sorry.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Not a problem. I asked only because your picture was the only one I had seen with out the faceplate secured. I understand it is not a common procedure outside of a professional shop. I was simply looking through the posts, as I have been searching to find what the connection is between the odometer and the trip, so the two are synced. It appears as though there is a small gear missing, keep the trip from rolling.

Thank you for looking and getting back.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello from Costa Rica! Thanks for the detailed explanation. Went through the entire process, and the odometer still won't turn. My guess is it's the helical gear or the lead gear. I had been avoiding replacing these two because it seems like a challenge. I already got the pieces from odometergears.com , so time to get working 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this s*cks. I ordered an fully funcional odometer with 45015 kms as my car has originally 45870 kms. I was blown away by the fact that I found one so close to the original kilometers.

Lo and behold, the seller sent me one with entirely different kilometers. The good thing is that it's working and it actually counts the kilometers. I had purchased it to avoid the headache of replacing the gears.

The seller (through ebay) offered a discount. He suggested adjusting the kilometers manually, but I'm scared to do so and damage the gears and for it to stop counting the kilometers, the reason I bought it in the first place. Any tips on specifically changing the kilometers? Is it possible? 

IMG_3065.JPG

• Like 1