• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On my drivers door handle, there is a cylinder  (witch was quite loose any way)..... That cylinder fell through the door, I can still see it , although its on an angle, upon speculation ...is gonna be tricky   , what do you feel that my first,

move should be in getting this to work again.....i live in a city next to a ghetto!  DEZ  Thanks

DEZ                                  file://localhost/Users/desi/Desktop/bmw-snow-singniture.jpg

Dez,

I did some door work last year, and most likely you will need to remove the armrest, the door handle and window winder handles and pop off the door card to get access to the mechanicals from the inside.  The door handle is held on by bolts from the inside and will probably need to be removed for you to retrieve the loose cylinder (lock?) and get it straightened out.  If you go this route, it is also a good time to lube everything up, replace the little grommets on the door release mechanism to get rid of that annoying rattle in the door, and be sure to replace the plastic water barrier that covers the entire door under the card.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

What probably happened is the screw that holds the lock cylinder in place on the door handle assembly has backed out, allowing the lock cylinder to dangle loose.  You will need to look in the bottom of the door for the screw, a small lever and a spring that are held in place by the screw.  I discovered from experience that there are many ways to reassemble lever, spring and screw, but only one way is right!  The lever must engage the flat (with upset rims) striker plate that's part of the latch assembly, and the spring must cause the lever to retract when you let go the lock button on the exterior handle.   Looking at the passenger door handle won't help, as they are handed so won't look the same.  It's best if you have another handle to look at; failing that, look at an exploded diagram on REALOEM or in your parts book.  Just don't reassemble the door until you're sure you have it back together correctly.  And locktite the screw!

cheers, and happy tinkering.

mike  

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite