• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 02 engine overhaul due to oil in coolant

It looks like steamed cleaned between 2 and 3 also along the outside edge of 2 going bottom to top. Blown head gasket or just not torqued correctley. Not quite close enough . But thats it from here.

Catman

I did the things yesterday no one wanted to -

So I could do the things today no one else can afford.

• 2 weeks later...

has the machinist worked on a car like 2002bmw? I see coolant still in block did you pull the blockdrain plug? I pulled mine and it didnt drain untill i shopvac ed all the garbage that seems to collect near the #4piston waterjacket.I would have that head pressure tested as mentioned above..good luck,I had a very small crack between valves(common),and it was very hard to find.

IMAG0644.jpg

Edited by ndog

He had not worked on this particular engine, no... But he used to work on bmws back in the day, and he pointed out one particular engine that seemed to be pretty much exactly like the m10 but had 6 cylinders... Forgot what car it came out of.

He pressure tested the crap out of my head, I don't think it's cracked. I did pull the drain, not sure why there is still some coolant in there.

I am certainly kind of clueless about what to do next here in my search for the problem... I wonder if some one could try and lay out a path for me?

Throw out the VR head gasket , get a genuine BMW one and some new head bolts, and put it back together . If your head has all checked out ok, could be just a crap gasket . I recently had a VR gasket fail after being put on using the correct procedure, mine failed thru an oil gallery after 100 miles . Just a bad gasket I guess, on with a new BMW gasket problem solved . Put a few different manufactures head gaskets together and there is a big difference in quality .

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

Hard to tell could be casting marks/lines, Personally ive never seen or had a cracked block they are pretty damn tuff.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

I will make sure I get all the oil out of the head bolt holes before I reassemble,,,

But before I do so, I would like to investigate the coolant flow path through the engine. Does anybody have a flow chart for the m10 engine? I took out each piston and they checked out fine.. minimal wear on them and I could not find any crack in their paths... 

Hello again,

so what I really need to figure out is which holes on the top of the block are coolant passages, which are oil passages and which are just bolt holes.. I attached a picture of my block with numbers and letters next to the holes.. can someone label this for me so I know?

thanks!

post-43329-0-39956700-1367688675_thumb.p