• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

284 vs 292 cam on slightly modified tii

I was searching in the board, but couldn't find answers for a slightly modified tii. I'm going to purchase regrind camshaft, but i'm wondering if it will be 284 or 292, because of the stock setup of KF pump.

My car will have the following specs:

10-11:1 JE forged pistons 90 mm (hemi dome, similar to the Alpina ones)

121 head rebuilt and polished, modified for the hemi-dome

Alpina connecting rods

Stock crankshaft

Slightly lightened flywheel

Alpina exhaust headers

Well it's not so slightly modified, but i'm wondering which one will more eficient. The engine will not run above 7k rpms because of stock rocker arms and because it will be restored tii, a weekend car.

What would you suggest me to buy?

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof

I do not condone those folks who have the time and resources to tinker -especially with a modified tii. Just saying the stock configuration is a great vehicle.

Keep us (me) posted on your progress. Would love to know how things are going. A wideband AFR gauge will be your best friend.

5.jpg

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

You have a done a lot and the long pole in the tent will be your fuel delivery. 284 does not give you much and you can run that on the stock pump setting.

The 292 needs more fuel. Call Dave Redzus in Bensonville, IL, tell him your set-up, send him your pump, injectors and distributor. Wait awhile, send him a pocket full of money.

Then put a good AFR sensor and gauge on the car, reinstall and tune.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I have a 290 in my 74 tii from Metric Mechanic - it was a bit of a challenge to get the mixture right but the stock kf pump seems up to it. At times I wish I had another tii to compare it to but she idles at about 900 and pulls hard through all gears - in my case 5 gears

jeff