• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 12 volt Battery , weighs just 3 pounds .

LimeySteve

I have just signed up to sell these new Lithium batteries , amazing they are 6.5" long, 3.5 wide & 6.3 high , currently available in 450CCA , tried on a V8 with mini starter & cranked & fired no problem (electric fuel pump & MSD ignition) even started it with the lights on. The thing weighs 3 pounds, cost is $249.95 expected life 8-10 years !!. Downside, they like to be kept at 80% charge & they don't like to be completely discharged. I am going to try it on James' 2002 & see what gives. Luckily for me the manufacturer is 2 miles from my shop, they are in Santa Fe Springs. Larger capacity CCA are in the pipeline & expected to be in the same case. They feel like an empty box , amazing stuff. Temporary battery cables :)

IMG_0005_zps21535b1c.jpg

IMG_0006_zps971b6651.jpg

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normal alternator is just fine I saw them at Willow Springs & the guy I got some 02 parts from put one on his Mitsubishi race car & it was fine. They are actually motorcycle batteries but work fine on cars.

1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

I just found & ordered plastic covers , I spoke to them about it too , the extra posts are great for power take off to a secondary fuse box etc. 6mm threads.

I just made some top post adapters so tomorrow I'm going to try it on some larger V8's & some 02's Cost is high but a good optima etc is $200 & I've had issues with them, the weight & size are incredible & if their claims of 8-10 years use (with care ) then cost is the same as 2 decent lead acid batteries .Shipping will be cheap too, I can carry it up with 2 fingers !!!!!!!. I'll do a video tomorrow & post it up here, R&D is fun (when it works ! )

If they came in an 02 size that would be cool. Down side though is I can get 5-7 years out of a $60 Costco battery.

Can they be mounted sideways, like under the rear seat? The weight is awesome though!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

numbers are in his post and the picture of the label.....

I see the cold cranking amps... 450... and the dimensions. I can't read the label in the picture very well.

I was more interested in the amp hour rating; of course, with a good alternator it is less important, but it is still necessary information especially considering how much lithium batteries dislike being discharged. My apologies for not being more clear; it's been a very very long day.

definitely interested, and yes the price is reasonable considering the weight and space savings and if the life expectancy holds true.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

If they came in an 02 size that would be cool. Down side though is I can get 5-7 years out of a $60 Costco battery.

Can they be mounted sideways, like under the rear seat? The weight is awesome though!

ah...that is an 02 size. small.

since there is no acid in it, they can be mounted which ever way you want. just like the tiny braille/dekka AGM batteries. the AGM's same size and are cheaper, but if you need to shave that last 7 lbs off the car for racing, this lithium seems like a good ticket.

costo 40lb lead acid battery mounted in nose of car = $60

AGM/Lithium <10lb battery mounted in trunk or under seat in race car = priceless.

2xM3

Weight savings was the big draw for using Li batteries in the Boeing 787. Not sure I'm ready to roll the dice yet though. When they light off, the reaction is self-sustaining and normal extinguishing methods do not work. Plus the short-circuits seem to initiate slowly and sort of smolder before taking off, so you might just come back to a burnt out shell in the morning. Personally, I've had two Li powered electronic devices' Li batteries short and overheat. No fires, but it still freaked me out on the technology. If I were to get one of these, I'd put it in a quick-release containment box that I could yank out and toss clear of the car instantly. And I would definitely not mount it in the trunk or passenger compartment. They're so light just leave it under the hood. -Rojo