• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

windscrean wiper non op

rover1

havnt used my wipers in ages. the other morning when it was very foggy i had drive very slow as a result. when i got around to investigate it i started out by checking for corrosion at that round 5 pin connector at the bulkhead no corrosion. so busted out the good old power probe i applyed power and ground to the black & white-black & greene pins witch on the haynes manual are dirrectly to the motor anyway the wiper motor turned at the highest speed. so i know the motor is good. i also can hear the intermitant relay clicking when i operate the switch near the steering collumn does that mean the relay is ok? i cant find the ground for the window motor on the schematic . could anyone advise on its location.

if you were able to get the wiper motor to function by a bypass ground, then I'd check the whole ground circuit.

Also--the wiper relay is the black box under the dash, directly above the hood release handle--the one that is stamped "Wisch/Wash/Geber" (the other one is the turn signal relay). You can remove it and carefully take the cover off, then plug back in and see if the relay points close when you turn on the wipers. If they don't then that's your problem; try substituting a known good relay for yours to confirm.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite