• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front bumperette/Over rider removal question

brbrian73

Hate to say this but the pointed low overriders in the front are a defining feature of a '73 (along with the narrow headlight grills).

I must admit that I have hit my legs on those front and rear pieces many times while maneuvering in the garage...

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I hear what you are saying, Jim. I struggled with the decision because my car is very original but made the move anyway. For me, the Euro guards minimize a necessary evil. As I personalize the car to my liking, I am hanging on to the original parts. With this particular car, I will not make any irreversible moves.

I believe the smaller overriders are for 71 and earlier Euro cars. I know the 72 - 77 euro cars used the same overriders as the 73 American cars

51111814702 is the euro overrider for the 72 to 77 Euro models (pointed one like the 73 American models 51111814702). Used on the Euro models from 4/1971 - 1977

51111802617 is the shorter one from a 1971 and earlier Euro models (3/1966 - 3/1971)

So if you car is a 1973, the pointed overriders are correct for the Euro or American models. If you wanted to make your 73 "Euro" switch to the 1972 shorter bumper brackets and pointed overriders.

This is the sales brochure from a 1972 touring, (only Euro) note the overriders. If you notice the bulbous turn signals, those were on the tourings with the rallye package (63131354557). These bulbous turn lights are specific to the touring, not the same as the US bulbous lights (63131353861).

1972TouringCover.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Thanks for the detail Bill. You have laid out a pretty thorough history of the overriders. For my car, the goal was to reduce the visual impact of the bumper, specifically the overriders. 2002s obviously have a striking appearance with them, but I find the early Euro parts a little cleaner looking. I plan to remove the rear overriders for the same reason. Nothing permanent, nothing irreversible, but something that makes my smile a little wider. Thanks again for sharing the info and the part numbers - I like learning that stuff.

Brian