• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front bumperette/Over rider removal question

brbrian73

I just removed the over riders from the front bumper of my '73, but that leaves an unfinished look. On each side, the end of the rubber strip is exposed where it meets the center section. What are my options? If I remove the two rubber strips, there will be open holes. I could search for side sections from a Euro bumper, but I am also considering removing the side pieces from my car, having the holes filled, and the pieces re-chromed. Any thoughts?

If you are this far along, I would search for the early, non-rubber strip bumper ends. Marshall (mlytle) is doing this on his M2.

Also, make sure you keep those funky wedge-shaped spacers that are hidden between the bumper and bracket.

edit: I believe I saw ONE early bumper end piece available in the clearance/close-out section of BavAuto's website the other day.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Check around a marine supply place or one that deals in parts for motor homes/campers. Both use rubber and plastic strips as rub rails and/or seam covers, and they often are finished with chrome or aluminum end caps.

Betcha a little sleuthing would turn up a couple that would fit over those unfinished ends, and could be secured by the carriage bolts that hold the bumper blade to its bracket.

A lot cheaper than early style bumper ends...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

I want to thank everyone for the help. Based on the input and more deliberation, I am going to go with early or Euro end pieces. Thanks to the links you posted, I can see that they are available - if a little spendy. I will also search for some reasonably priced Euro overriders rather than going without. I will post some before and after pictures when this little project is complete. Thanks again.

Here are some euro overriders; considering they are new with new rubbers, price isn't excessive. Still spendy. But they will look nice!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUMPER-GUARDS-FRONT-PAIR-BMW-2002-2002tii-1600-STAINLESS-STEEL-/230909911451?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c34da19b&vxp=mtr

Thanks Stu. I decided to go for the reproduction Euro overriders offered by Kuhlauto on eBay. For now I'll leave the original side pieces with the rubber impact strip. This seems like a nice compromise between staying original and the cleaner (in my opinion) European setup. As soon as I have the new overriders installed, I will post a pic or two.

Next up: removing the rear overriders! Soon I will pursue a full-length impact strip and new T-bolts.

Why do these incidental projects give me such joy?!

Here's a pic of my rear bumper with seam covers and euro rubber trim (the euro rubber doesn't have holes in it, where the overrider would bolt on).

001_zpsa83454de.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Stu,

Question for you: are your rear seam covers made specifically to work with the one-piece Euro rubber impact strip? It was my understanding that there was only one type of rear seam cover and you could use them with or without the rubber strip. The reason I ask is because there is another posting (http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,992080/sid,0b22f129c5f61bb8cbc67483d96d711e/) where it says that these seam covers are for use "without" the the rubber strip. Does that mean that the sets that Kuhlauto sells cannot be used with a rubber strip? I can obviously ask Kuhlauto directly but I thought I would run it by you first.

On a side note, I received my Euro front bumper guards from Kuhlauto and mounted them last night. To my eyes, they are a massive (excuse the pun) improvement over the larger ones that came standard on U.S. cars. I will try to post a pic or two this weekend.

Thanks,

Brian

My seam covers are BMW OEM, bought them from Steve at Blunttech. They have a bit of a notch in them where the rubber lays over them, so I think yes they are made for the rubber trim. But, I previously used a pair of aftermarket that didn't have that notch, and they still worked; the rubber just stuck out a little bit.

I bought late model front overriders, just put them on 2 days ago. Massive improvement indeed! They look so much better.

006_zps49e6da7f.jpg

005_zps9604ccff.jpg

Brian, those look great. I contemplated the euro style, but I changed from the even clunkier tall/earlier overrider, to the triangular one, so even though it's the large one it is still much nicer.