• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pass side headlight problem

webthread

My passenger side headlight won't come on, but highbeam works. My driver side is fine for both high and regular.

I thought it was just the bulb so i got new headlamps but still doesn't work. I tried switching them all around to make sure it wasn't just random back luck on the passenger side, but they all work on the driver's side, and none of them work on the pass side.

I checked voltage and they're getting about 12.7 or .8 with the car on for both regular and high beams on both sides so indication of a problem yet.

The driving lights in both the fenders come on as they are supposed to so no help there either.

It seems like it should come on based on the above, not sure where to go from here. I don't have any other electrical problems whatsoever. This is my daily driver so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1971 BMW 2002 Chamonix

1. Low beams on a '74 are fused separately, so check fuse #10. Remove, clean fuse ends and the brass retainer clips. Those fuses do wear out.

2. If that doesn't cure it, check for voltage at the headlight plug itself. Turn low beams on, the use a voltmeter to check the two sockets not served by the brown (ground wire) One of 'em should be hot. If not, the problem is in the plug or the wiring itself.

Happy troubleshooting

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks I appreciate it. I checked fuses, connections are good and none are blown.

When I checked the voltage earlier, I checked right at the socket. I used an independent ground as well as the ground from the socket itself and both gave me "juice".

Any other suggestions you can think of?

1971 BMW 2002 Chamonix

Hi--

Can you check the voltage under load? A breakout-box would be helpful but you can make the connections other ways (carefully!). Sometimes the voltage looks fine with a simple check but a bad connection makes a big voltage drop under load.

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

Check these posts from last month:

Date: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Subject: Re: Lighting Problem

I'm not sure which fuse covers this on a roundie, but If you know, pull the fuse and make sure the ends do not have a burned circle - something that sometimes happens even though the "hourglass" link is not burner through.

If the fuse proves OK try rotating it a bit in the holders to eliminate any corrsion there. And you probably don't want to put a bulb in the bad socket until you replace the rear running light. You should be able to find one very economically on the "Parts Wanted" board.

Bob Napier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Subject: Re: Lighting Problem

Sure enough, it was the fuse. I thought I had checked them thoroughly, I guess not well enough. Thanks for the encouragement to check them again. I'm an idiot...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------