• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salvaged 1971 2002 - Northern California - parts car -- SOLD

TB

Edit: Thanks everyone for your interest, the whole car has been sold to become a donor for a major rebuild effort in SoCal.

Salvage titled 1971 2002 for sale – was in good shape before our big tree hit it!

I am looking to sell outright or part out my ’71 2002. Posting in both cars & parts subforums.

See pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/117314118193943330950/71BMW2002?authkey=Gv1sRgCKeF-PqC14-ZtAE

Car is located in Santa Clara, Ca. I may be available to deliver it for an additional fee.

Estimated mileage 45K (original)

I was third owner, have had since 2007 – got regular service and I installed new radiator from Silicon Garage. 2nd owner had for six years, and did major restoration work including new paint , reupholstered rear bench seat and dash, and major service. Original owner was Mercedes mechanic who owned it for thirty years...was his wknd car (as it was for me)!

Body and interior very complete/original; seats are cloth recaros and will need recovering. Car was running fine until recent fueling issue – my local BMW mechanic thinks original solex carb needs rebuilding. But I believe it will still run, just poor drivability – will be checking it out in next few days.

Damage from falling tree is to roof, back windshield, and trunk lid – lots of sawdust and broken glass to be cleaned out of back seat but other than that I was kinda lucky – my E36 sedan did not fair so well.

$2200 OBO for whole car – that’s my preference, but if no takers then will move to parting out.

Best way to reach me is via email – tbensch@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks everyone for the condolences and interest in the parts. Yeah was bummer of a day when the tree came down...I literally had to dig out the 02, and from first view (from the front) it really looked like it had survived, but was not to be :(. I was much more upset about losing the 02 versus the E36, which was going to be sold shortly anyways.

I will post up again and let everyone know if I go the parts route - will make that decision within the week.

Anyone know the best way to dispose of the chassis if I part it out? I'm hoping a junk yard would still want it for a little $ for the scrape metal, and maybe just drag it onto/off a flatbed?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim

Tim,

If you do this properly, there should be very little to dispose of. The body can be cut into "clips", like the front, fenders, rear, etc. Either with sawzall, or torch. Personally, I can't think of anything that you can't salvage except the roof perhaps. Even the trunk lid can be salvaged and repaired.

Double 02 in Hayward might buy the shell, or take it off your hands for the tow. There are at least nine or twelve items I'm interested in when/if you go that route.

don

that's a fairly easy repair--find a decent roof (should be easy in CA) and it'll probably come with a backlightand have a competent body shop perform a roofectomy. You could even get one with a sunroof! Then repair or replace the trunk lid and you're back in business.

I've seen '02s with much worse damage than that repaired so that the damage couldn't be seen, inside or out.

We salt country folks would call that car a project.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I tend to agree- find someone who's artful with a torch (shouldn't be hard at all in California) and it could totally be repaired. I like the sunroof addition.. as a matter of fact, there was a roof clip for sale on this very forum not long ago.

• 2 weeks later...